Rig Building "Mile Stones" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Rig Building "Mile Stones"

I was thinking this weekend (yeah I know it's dangerous) as I was wheeling my blazer for the first time on the trail. This was the first time I had ever driven a super low geared rig. I got to thinking about some of the "mile stones", the first time on the trail after a new mod you go wow this is a whole new rig.

Here's some of the Mile Stones I thought of

-Your first real set of wheeling tires

-Your first locker

-Your first set of decently over sized tires/ lift/ suspension mods to make the big tires work

-the first time you change axle gears, I remember the difference between 3.54's and 4.56's made my pile at the time seem like a whole new animal

-Your second locker

-Your first super low geared rig, I just experienced driving with a doubler, now the clutch is pretty much just along for the ride

Any other mile stones I'm forgetting. I'm not exactly sure the point of this post, just a ramble. I can't imagine if I hopped in my current decently built trail rig when I was 16 how big of a disaster it was, my pretty much stock jeeps were a disaster back then. I've been at this wheeling game for about 9 years and it's still an on going process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

-when your cage saves your ass
-you are the only one to not break that day
-you actually wheel, put it away and only put gas in it to wheel again.
-you rebuild the entire jeep and drive it 200+ miles last weekend only to realize you didn't put gear lube in the rear end
it actually looks like nothing was damaged.

It's not what you have. It's what you do with what you have
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Way Outta Control

After driving and racing 2 wheel drives off road, and digging and digging, that wonderful feeling of reaching down for a lever, shifting into 4 wheel drive - and driving out of the place you were stuck in!

After negotiating a difficult spot successfully - "piece of cake" - then looking at your passenger's ghost like face and white knuckles - and remembering when you used to feel like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Mud in my Veins

Already done the offroad tires (bias Swampers... toughness night & day over radials!), locked at both ends (Detroit/welded), and re-gear (3.73>4.27)...

Hopefully, the next "mile stone" will be getting the TBI tuned for the 304 (it's all on and running, but needs the fuel & timing tables tweaked a bit)!

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I never thought my old CJ7 was very 'special' as far as mods went, until Knifeboy was behind me on the trail at the Badlands for half the day. All he could talk about was how cool it was to watch my Jeep work and articulate. His CJ-5 seemed to him like the axles were bolted to the frame in comparison. That was the biggest milestone to me, someone elses compliment on how well the Jeep I built worked.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dılɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
http://www.geocities.com/m1a_sniper/offroadpower.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Addict

While I don't have all the mods that you mentioned above, I do have a great big smile on my face just to be able to drive my jeep this year. All last summer was pure torture but well worth it. btw, when I replaced my drag link and tie rod ends it made my old jewel drive like a completely different vehicle... thanks for the advice Jim

I'm not your average blonde bimbo....I'm above average!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Purchased my 79 CJ in February of 03 I think. It was filled with bondo but looked good from ten feet. Guys would compliment me on my "nice Jeep" while parked around town or at the river. I immediately installed lift shackles to make room for the 31s.

Two years later. Bondo had started cracking, paint wasn't so shiny, but mechanical mods were top priority. T-18 four speed, spring over lift/axle swap and bumpers made it a worthy trail rig. People said "nice Jeep" even though it no longer looked shiny clean and new.

Son born three years ago. The ole CJ body and frame were not safe enough for me to want to haul him around in a car seat. The rebuild began with a new YJ tub frame, roll cage, and eventually I added blingy new wheels and paint. Then high steer done right. Safe for my family and winning Best of Show (Jeep) at the local dealership car show last summer. And it still wheels pretty good.

The final phase (yeah right). This winter re-geared axles, selectable locker in the front and trying my darndest to keep the thing "looking nice". I've noticed the gearing on the road and can't wait to feel it on the trail.

Did I say final phase? I put Dunlop Mud Rovers on it when I did the spring over. As I continue to travel to new jeeping destinations including CO, I am positive I will rip a gash in a sidewall or two soon. Until then I will flog the Dunlops, but I am instantly drawn to the tire adds in each magazine to see who is currently offering what size.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode