Need a LONGER dropped Pitman Arm! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Need a LONGER dropped Pitman Arm!

OK, I beefed the steering links and corrected some geometry issues a few years back. Ended up with a Terflex(?) "universal" pitman that has about 4" of drop which correct the DL angle. Unfortunately, it's about 1"-1.25" shorter hole-to-hole (spline to taper) at 5.5" than my OEM arm at 6.75". Now ALL turns require 3+point turns to navigate!

OTOH, since I'm only getting 50% steering, front shafts & joints should be impossible to frag!

I even went back to check posts back '01 (the hayday of this forum BTW) and found a couple references to OEM drop arms, only referencing drop dimensions, but NOT hole-to-hole. Same as the current online offerings... NO mention of length...

Anyone have an idea regarding such a drop pitman arm?

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM

For my own Jeep it wouldn't bother me to weld an extension in. Can you move the hole on the knuckle?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

Wagoneer should be longer. If you want one to make your dingger jealous get a scout 2 drop pitman arm. I have one on my blazer and it's definitely good for compensating. It's about 10" hole to hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
Wagoneer should be longer. If you want one to make your dingger jealous get a scout 2 drop pitman arm. I have one on my blazer and it's definitely good for compensating. It's about 10" hole to hole.
did you just call it a ... dingger?

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I know for a fact that the waggy arm is longer. I tried installing one to cure the problem you describe and it interferred with my tie rod. So I am back to a CJ 4" drop until I can find the time to move th steering gear mount forward a bit.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Dave,

Not sure if you got my message, but the pitman arm on my CJ is right at 7" on center. It has about a 1/2-3/4" drop also. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what it's from. If I had to guess, I'd go with one of the Waggies that was up at Bill's Shop. I pulled my Gear box from a Waggy and it had the Pitman arm on it, but it seems when I swapped out the front axle and went High Steer, I also had to swap out the pitman at that time.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Official Historian

That is why I am going to a high steer arm on the passenger side knuckle. I'll keep the tie rod in the stock location and move the drag link up so it can be closer to the ball joints on the knuckle end and I can use a longer pitman arm on the steering gear end without hitting the tie rod.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Anyone have a measurement from a CJ drop arm?

I'm concerned the Waggy arm (7" center to center) may be TOO long, causing additional interference. Due to frame differences/box mounting, moving the steering box *forward* ain't gonna happen...

Pretty sure as cheap as Jeep/AMC was, the 6.75" length pitman must have been used on something else and not just Commandos! The 6.75" balljoint to draglink taper on a NT D30 should also be constant across the ALL models...

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode