Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Need a LONGER dropped Pitman Arm! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/231831-need-longer-dropped-pitman-arm.html)

Caver Dave 04-01-2009 11:17 AM

Need a LONGER dropped Pitman Arm!

OK, I beefed the steering links and corrected some geometry issues a few years back. Ended up with a Terflex(?) "universal" pitman that has about 4" of drop which correct the DL angle. Unfortunately, it's about 1"-1.25" shorter hole-to-hole (spline to taper) at 5.5" than my OEM arm at 6.75". Now ALL turns require 3+point turns to navigate! :mad:

OTOH, since I'm only getting 50% steering, front shafts & joints should be impossible to frag! :smirk:

I even went back to check posts back '01 (the hayday of this forum BTW) and found a couple references to OEM drop arms, only referencing drop dimensions, but NOT hole-to-hole. Same as the current online offerings... NO mention of length...

Anyone have an idea regarding such a drop pitman arm?

:beertoast:

Jim_Lou 04-01-2009 12:05 PM

For my own Jeep it wouldn't bother me to weld an extension in. Can you move the hole on the knuckle?

barrelroll 04-01-2009 01:29 PM

Wagoneer should be longer. If you want one to make your dingger jealous get a scout 2 drop pitman arm. I have one on my blazer and it's definitely good for compensating. It's about 10" hole to hole.

mbalbritton 04-01-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelroll (Post 1543384)
Wagoneer should be longer. If you want one to make your dingger jealous get a scout 2 drop pitman arm. I have one on my blazer and it's definitely good for compensating. It's about 10" hole to hole.

did you just call it a ... dingger? :D

jdoggmoney 04-01-2009 01:57 PM

I know for a fact that the waggy arm is longer. I tried installing one to cure the problem you describe and it interferred with my tie rod. So I am back to a CJ 4" drop until I can find the time to move th steering gear mount forward a bit.

mbalbritton 04-02-2009 07:29 AM

Dave,

Not sure if you got my message, but the pitman arm on my CJ is right at 7" on center. It has about a 1/2-3/4" drop also. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what it's from. If I had to guess, I'd go with one of the Waggies that was up at Bill's Shop. I pulled my Gear box from a Waggy and it had the Pitman arm on it, but it seems when I swapped out the front axle and went High Steer, I also had to swap out the pitman at that time.

WILL 04-02-2009 09:08 AM

That is why I am going to a high steer arm on the passenger side knuckle. I'll keep the tie rod in the stock location and move the drag link up so it can be closer to the ball joints on the knuckle end and I can use a longer pitman arm on the steering gear end without hitting the tie rod.

Caver Dave 04-23-2009 12:06 PM

Anyone have a measurement from a CJ drop arm?

I'm concerned the Waggy arm (7" center to center) may be TOO long, causing additional interference. Due to frame differences/box mounting, moving the steering box *forward* ain't gonna happen...

Pretty sure as cheap as Jeep/AMC was, the 6.75" length pitman must have been used on something else and not just :censored: Commandos! The 6.75" balljoint to draglink taper on a NT D30 should also be constant across the ALL models...