my thoughts on Aussie Lockers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

my thoughts on Aussie Lockers

Ok jeepers, I posted a few weeks back regarding my gears in the D44, But now I figured I ought to post on my locker.
Ive got about 600 miles on my rear (d44) Aussie Locker. Similar to the Lockrite. The install took me about 4.5 hours with no experence what so ever! the directions were good...but they combined several diffrent types of axle install in the same direction, so you had to bounce around a little. Not to bat though. As for driving, I figured every time I wasnt going streight It would "click"; instead Ive got to make a very sharp turn to get it to "click" As for drivability, I've noticed some diffrences. When I backup and turn the axle binds and the jeep lunges, and also when Im in 1st at idle and turn the lunges as the axle locks up. the lunging causes you to bounce the gas pedel and makes the broble get bigger! But the more I drive it the less it happens, so plan on learning some new driving techniques. Also every now and again I get a loud pop, like the axle was under a bind and unlocked violently. the clicking is fairly quiet, but the wife did notice it rightaway: "that dont sound good." was her responce. I did take the doors off one day and it was noticable. However on the ice and normal driving I never noticed it. Well except when I tried to get stuck and didnt.
Over all I spent about $230 for a locker and love it. yes I wish I had $800+ for a locker that I could turn on and off, but I didnt get a federal "bailout".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Ok this morrning I lost it going around a corner on some black ice, almost rolled. not sure if the locker had anything to do with it. I need to be more causious though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Old Hand

I have an aussie locker in the front axle of my jeep. I havent had any problems with it at all. Ive used lockright's in the past as well and never had any issues with that particular locker either. Same as you, i would love to have an arb up front but cant afford it. I also cant bring myself to buy an $800 locker for a dana 30.

------------------------------
97 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This is what i do to keep down the tire chirping or banging. Gas when straight, then let off before you turn. Taking the power out of the driveshaft will help the locker free up. The first time i drove my cj with a detroit i thought i blew the rear the first time it banged.

What????
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

I installed a front and rear Aussie locker in my sons Toyota and he has had no problems. Now the Lock Right that I installed in my 14 bolt does what you describe but maybe a little worse. The guys at Richmond gear told my to run Synthetic in the diff and that would help. It helped a little but not enough. Then they told me that I needed new side washers and side gears so I done that, didn't help. Had a guy from Pirate tell me to grind down my side washers because they were to thick causing it to bind. I done that and still can't get it right. I finally got tired of it and said to hell with it. Richmond gear sayed they were out of ideas and didn't know what to do about it. Now Im pretty much stuck with a $400 spool...

Do like pontiac58 said. Idle up and then coast through your turn and see if that helps... I have had to do that with previous lockers. I think it tends to happen more with Standard trannies than auto's. Oh and one more thing, make sure your tire pressure is even in the rear tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode