Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Help?wiring harness (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/231564-help-wiring-harness.html)

Rhudey 03-05-2009 04:29 PM

Help?wiring harness

I have a 1973 cj5, there is the original amc 304 v8 in it. I purchased this vehicle about 80% restored. When I first acquired it the vehicle drove just fine, I recently moved and had the vehicle shipped and now the ignition switch has fallen out of the wires. I believe the wire harness is a painless wiring harness but not exactly sure. I can't figure out how to connect the wires to the gauges can anyone help explain how to???? any advice would be of much help

Jim_Lou 03-05-2009 06:22 PM

Welcome to the board!

You've got a tough problem, picking up a project in the middle. My suggestion would be to first find out if it is a Painless harness. If it is, you can probably get all the information you need from Painless. I don't know if it's exclusive to Painless, but on their kits every wire is labeled every few inches of its length. If your wires aren't labeled it's either a pretty old kit or something else.

Olin18 03-06-2009 06:57 AM

If you do have a painless kit, I belive that you can download the complete manual (instructions) from the painless web site.

Chances are pretty good that you have a GM ingnition, but if you look at the diagrams on the painless page you should be able to match it up.

WILL 03-06-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olin18 (Post 1542311)
Chances are pretty good that you have a GM ingnition, but if you look at the diagrams on the painless page you should be able to match it up.

73 may have the ignition switch in the dash... not sure if they changed to the GM in 72 or 76 but I think not till 76.

SilentBob2 03-07-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

73 may have the ignition switch in the dash...
That should be correct. My 74 has the ignition in the dash..

Rhudey 03-07-2009 12:06 PM

wiring

Yes my ignition switch is in the dash.. I got the diagram from the painless website and when I connected the wires all I get is a funny sound...an electric ark type of sound does this mean the ignition is in place correct but my distributor isn't lined up? When I connected the wires nothing happens starter doesn't kick in engine doesn't crank just the sound of electricity did I do more damage attempting this myself or is there something I'm missing?

Rhudey 03-07-2009 12:06 PM

wiring

I can post pictures if this would be of some help???? just let me know

jdoggmoney 03-07-2009 02:10 PM

Are the wires labeled and the correct colors according to the Painless diagram? If so, go through each one and make sure the other end of each one is connected as it should be.

A friend if mine had an older CJ5 a few years ago. IIRC there were only three or four wires to it. One kept falling off and we'd have to figure out which terminal it came off of. I would also suggest Googling for a wiring factory wire diagram or something close. Autozone web site has some "decent" on line diagrams, don't know if they go back to 73 or not though.

WILL 03-09-2009 12:33 AM

It should be a generic switch too... 3 or 4 posts. I don't remember which ones are which right now and it will be a week or so till I'll have a chance to check the one in the 2a.

Rhudey 03-12-2009 03:50 PM

progress?

So I think I got the ignition switch figured out when I turn the key I hear the starter click but nothing else happens...thought maybe the battery was dead due to not moving for an extended period of time.....turns out it wasn't that so I think the only thing left to do is double check all my wiring and tighten the connections? could that be my only problem just a loose wire somewhere?