Help?wiring harness - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM

If the battery condition is good, what you have is a high-resistance connecton somewhere. It could be at the battery, the frame, the starter solenoid or the starter motor.

You can find it with a voltmeter or a test light. Put the meter or test light probes on either side of a connection, say the positive battery post and the battery cable clamp, and have someone try to start it. If the meter shows a voltage reading or the test light glows, even dimly, it's a bad connection.

If not, go to the next one - the battery ground post and the ground cable clamp. Then go to the ground cable clamp and the engine block. Clean up the bad connections and it will crank over.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

alright so I went through and cleaned up those connections I think my problem is my starter soleniod and/or my ammeter??? When I try to crank it over the starter clicks but the ammeter makes a funny sound kinda like an arcing sound?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 AM

My quick guess is that you still have two problems. Is the ammeter a remote-shunt on an in-line gauge? If the wires to it are big, #10 or so, it's in-line. If the wires are #18 or so and run to a big resistor under the hood somewhere it's remote-shunt. In either case, you can eliminate it temporarily by putting both wires onto the same terminal of the gauge.

Then you'll need to do the tests as I described earlier, prefferably with a volt meter. If all of your connections are good, the problem will most likely be a voltage drop in the solenoid itself. Put the meter probes on the big lugs on either side of the solenoid and take a reading while a helper sties to start it. Also take a reading between the lug going to the starter motor and ground. Let us know what those readings are.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Fixed!!!!!!!

So it's been awhile since I've posted between work and school its been busy, but I finally got the cj 5 up and running rewired the whole thing. took all the wires back to the fuse box and worked my way out finally got all my accs working again she starts 2nd time every time now, still needs some work but she's coming along
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0724081924-00.jpg (100.6 KB, 0 views)
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Veteran

Ignition switch is in the dash in '73 & '74.
Went to the steering column in '75 or '76 depending on if your Jeep was built in the USA or Canada.

Everything had column ignition switch and fuse block from '76 forward to '86 (last year of CJ)
----------------------------

'73 did NOT have a fuse block of any kind.
Wires passed through the firewall bulkhead connector, and ran to breakers under the edge of the dash by the drivers left Knee, or they had some in-line fuses in some places.

If you have a fuse block under the dash anywhere, then someone has done some wiring in your vehicle.

You need to check for that fuse block before we go on trying to solve 'Issues' for you.

--------------------------------------------

I own a '73 & '74 CJ's
(and '68 & '75 & '79 & '86)
And I am INTIMATELY FAMILIAR with the wiring in the early AMC/CJ Jeeps.

If you need help, let me know and I will provide diagrams, pictures, ect. to help you out with your wiring 'Issues'.

---------------------------------------------

Painless does NOT provide for your engine connections.
From the starter solenoid and one line to a generic 'Ignition', you are on your own...

Wiring between the factory alternator and voltage regulator you will have to do yourself,
Wiring between starter relay and starter, or between starter relay and ignition you will have to do your self.

There are other examples, but this should illustrate some of the things you will need.

When you decide to go with electric fans, electronic ignition, internal regulating alternator that makes current lower in the RPM range, ect.
I have instructions and diagrams for all that stuff.

Since your picture shows you SWAMPED in mud, how about some tips to keep that ignition dry!

Last edited by TeamRush; 05-31-2009 at 07:21 PM.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

wiring

I no longer have any electrical problems, the rig was updated i guess you can say with a painless wiring harness which was wired completely wrong I took it all back to scratch and redid the whole thing minus the tail lights they didn't need any fixin. Replaced front axle, starter, soleniod, distribitor, plugs, rebuilt the steering coloumn on it. steering is a little loose just enough to notice but other than that all is fine. time for some paint and new interior. and little cosmetics here and there new fender flares and diamond plates I'll post some better pictures tomorrow during the day light so you can get a better look at it

again thank you everyone for your input/advice with the cj5 it's been a long process
post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
It should be a generic switch too... 3 or 4 posts. I don't remember which ones are which right now and it will be a week or so till I'll have a chance to check the one in the 2a.
lol--i had owned my jeep for about 6 years before something caught my eye when i went to put the key in....took a close look at my key, then the switch.....it's a Briggs & Stratton ignition switch fer cryin out loud.....works fine though

'74 CJ5232 ci,Dana 30 & 44,basically a stock rig with fiber body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode