Exhaust Leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exhaust Leak

I have developed an exhaust leak around the flange of my exhaust manifold, I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket with a new Fel-Pro about 2 months ago. I noticed when I put it all back together that there was no flange gasket. I tightened everything down and there seemed to be no problems. My question is should there be a dounut style gasket used on the exhaust manifold flange? Also I am looking for reasons why this would just start leaking out of the blue. Thanks for any help.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]AustnJPR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 09:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Exhaust Leak

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I can't figure out your post? Do I need a second cuppa coffee? Maybe you could re-post? I am confused about whether or not there are TWO gaskets? Is this the heat riser setup?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 04:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm not sure.......but I think he's saying that he replaced the exhaust manifold gasket.............while boltin' up the pipe he noticed that there was no "doughnut" at the outlet flange......but since he didn't see it roll away when he took it apart.......he figured it didn't need one ........so he tightened it up.....it worked ok ......for a while. Now he wonders if it needs a doughnut........ Did I get it right?

To answer your question....at least part of it.......I've installed exhausts the had no "doughnut" .....just the flared pipe and a two or three bolt collar.
Swing by a parts store and see if a doughnut is listed for the beast......if it is... buy it....install it.

Exhaust work can be frustrating.....whenever I replace anything on the exhaust I apply liberal (sorry Dave..there's the "L" work again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) amounts of NEVERSEIZE ..... you don't usually have to do exhaust work twice in a lifetime nowadays (unless you bash it) but the next guy sure is gonna thank me.

GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 06:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Call me crazy, but my favorite trick is using a bronze OVERSIZE hex nut on first, then the stock bronze nut on top. It keeps them from loosening from the hot-cold-hot-cold cycle. I happened to find a sackfull of 3/8" bronze oversize hex nuts army surplus, so..... you'll always know if you bought one of my former vehicles.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 09:56 PM
Official Curmudgeon

The 258 does not use a manifold to pipe gasket and mine was notorious for coming loose. I had to
retighten after I had it loose for engine change and intake manifold change and then about every six
months to a year thereafter.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 10:40 PM
Addict

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The 258 does not use a manifold to pipe gasket .....

<hr></blockquote>

Dunno 'bout yours, but mine sure has one!

I too use anti-sieze on anything that gives even the slightest bit of trouble taking off. Makes life a lot easier the next time around!

-Dana

But do you trust the government with semi-automatic assault rifles?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-1999, 01:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yep, I sure do,....as long as mine goes full automatic.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode