Boggers vs. TSLs vs. BFGs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Boggers vs. TSLs vs. BFGs

I have an '80 CJ-7 with a 350 (330 hp), TH 350, Scout II D44s, SOA with 2" springs, 1" body lift, and 35x12.50 BFG MTs. Since I've now decided to keep my stock '88 Toyota p/u, I can devote my Jeep to wheelin'. It will still be my daily driver (maybe 5-6 miles a day) with the Toy making all longer trips. I'm wondering if Boggers or TSLs would make a huge difference off-road in mud and rocks? Also, what size should I go for without endangering my D44s? Does anyone know someone with any Swampers in good shape for sale? Anyone need some 35" BFGs with 90% tread? Just curious, how many miles should I expect out of Boggers and TSLs? How about the SSRs? Thanx!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Boggers vs. TSLs vs. BFGs

I am running a set of 35x16.00x15 Boggers on my 79 CJ-7. It has a pretty similar setup that you are running in your jeep now except that I sill have a 30 front(hope to change that soon). You can expect the boggers to wear quicker on the road than the TSL's but in my opinion the Boggers are the way to go in the rocks and dirt, they really get a bite when they are aired down. Your 44's can handle the 35's pretty good. I have been lucky enough not to really break my 30 too bad that it can't be cheaply and easily fixed. When I get my 44 for the front then I think that most of my worries will be over.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to disagree with Peanut on this one. I am originally from Oklahoma as well and the Bogger is a great tire there. I now live in Phoenix(near all kinds of rockcrawling) and am running 35x15.5 SXs. The boggers wear really quickly as a street tire. The entire Swamper line rides like crap on the road. Balancing a set of Swampers is a waste of money. They are the best off road tire you can get though, but for rockcrawling you'll need beadlocks as well as a tire groover to get the most out of them. Since you are from the east, I'd say get the Boggers even after saying all of the above. My reason is that while the SX is the prefered tire in dry climates for it's puncture resistance as well as its better-than-a-Bogger on dry rock traction, the Bogger is better in mud, which I'm sure you see plenty of. WARNING: neither is a good street tire at all. The SSR is somewhat better on the street but it is very puncture prone. The sidewall is nothing compared to the SX. Just my 2 cents.
Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been running 35" SSR's for about 5,000 miles and they are a lot more quiet than my SX's. I love my SX's I'm not dis'n them I'm just saying I like my SSR's better. Also on the side was thing according to Petersen's the sidewall of the SSR is just as thick as the SSR, it's just the SSR is mostly on the inside. If anyone wants info on that tire comparison let me know and I'll dig out the mag.

Later,

[b] <font color=yellow> SandSpyder 1995 YJ Rio Grande, 4.0 HO, 4spd. Auto, 4.56:1 w/ARB's [b] </font color=yellow>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

has anyone ran the 38x11 boggers skinny tires I know a few people on this cite before were runng 33x9.50
Are skinnys the way to go in the mud?? or wide tires better
doess weight matter?? I a have a 83cj7 and soa and a 360 v8 (i can clear the 38 no problem)
The reason why I brought this up is because they are close to the same price as the 35x14 inch boggers.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 08:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I may have a lead foot or somthing.I have a set of dana 44 under a scrambler running 35/14.50/15 boggers,and I've managed to mangle every axle in the thing.I love the boggers,but with the 350 and low gears a dana 44 is no where near bullet proof.I think that the bfg's are more forgiving when you start hopping around where the boggers will find somthing to cling on and give to much traction.From what I've seen,the swampers still break enough stuff but tend to spin alittle better

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 09:47 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> The guys in TN really like the way Boggers grip slimy rocks. But, for pure mud, you want TSL's - especially on the front. Boggers are HP robbers & tend to dig in when you lose momentum, where TSL's will continue to pull you forward. And in spite of what you'd think, 36X12.50's will absolutely SPANK 35" TSL's or Boggers in deep mud - especially if it's thick.

Boggers do hook up better on greazy stuff that's realatively shallow. The 38.5X11 Bogger is the tire of choice among Super Stock mud draggers. They don't do as well in deep stuff where the setup is typically 39.5" Swamper front/39.5" Bogger rear. Keep in mind, these Super Stock trucks are making 700HP or more & can really take advantage of the big rubber. A handful of 2,800 lb machines run 39.5" Boggers at all 4 corners & float on top like a "Modified" would. 100 MPH of tire speed helps.

In our 36" Street class, none of the competitive machines have Boggers in the front & only a handful run them in the back - typically 400 HP or more. We had no official points' series this year, but the 36" winner & 2nd place in '98 both had 34X9.50 TSL's - I was 3rd with 38X12.50's. This year, I took the most victories on Q78's (basically 35.5X11) & my closest competitors had 36X12.50's in the front & 35X14.50 Boggers in the back. We run bog-style pits.

So, to sum up, I'd say that the Boggers would be your best bet if you run nasty Tellico-type trails. If your trails are mild & your mud is deep, I'd pick TSL's & preferably narrow ones. If you're worried about how they'll go on the highway, you don't want either. Both suck on-road. </font color=purple>

Link to Interco Tires

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
http://G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 10:16 AM

My vote is for BFG's if you want an all around tire.
I've run 35 boggers and sold them because I don't have enough horsepower to use them ([email protected])

i am running Q78 buckshot mudders (36") and like them very much, (after i had them trued)they are very very load but i think they are a great narrow tire for digging to the bottom to find traction.

i believe they are still the best tire for mud-drags front and rear if you have limited horsepower expecially on a fast track, because they dig straight to the bottom and aren't as heavy as Boggers and Swampers.

just my 2 cents........

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 02:17 PM
TEX

<font color=purple> Buckshots are great Fast Track tires & you're right, Boggers aren't the way to go even in shallow stuff if you have a small motor. East Beast has a healthy 350, so I didn't mention that. And I should have said that my Q78's are actually TSL's. Around here, the 4-6cyl guys prefer 34x9.50 TSL's for Fast Track and Pit racing, but I'm sure the Buckshots would do well also. And radial Buckshots aren't bad, either. Probably the only radials I'd consider if competition were in my future (haven't seen SSR radials in action, so they might also do well & the narrower "new pattern" TSL radials aren't bad, either). </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-12-1999, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can only assume Sandspyder meant to say that the SSR is just as thick a sidewall as the SX. There is NO WAY this can be true. I've run plenty of trails with guys with SXs and SSRs. I've only seen one really badly cut-but still holding air SX. I've seen plenty of shredded SSRs. The two aren't even remotely in the same league when it comes to puncture resistance. For example, I have a friend who's put splines from a barrel cactus through the sidewall of his SSRs. I've driven through tons of it and only get the needles stuck in the sidewall. Just an example....
Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode