Tranfercase leaking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Tranfercase leaking

Hey guys,
Let me start off with, I just put a Dana 300 and a T-176 4 Speed in my CJ7.
When I brought them home they we already married and both were full of water!
So I did the switch and when I was putting them in I noticed a small hole in the adapter from the tranfercase to the tranny. It looked like it was factory, it did not seem like it was drilled?
So tonight I took it out for a test run…..As soon as I got in some hard going, the cluch linkage broke…. Well didn’t break but lost a clip that holds it together and then the adjuster fell out (could not find it). So I limped it home in first, because I didn’t want to speed shift it.
When I got back and looked under it, I saw gear oil leaking from the transfercase. It was nasty looking (all water and a little oil). I drained all the bad stuff out a few time before I put it back together and filled it with fresh stuff.

So I could not tell for sure were it was coming from, but it looked like it was from that small hole in the adapter piece.

Can anybody tell me if that hole is factory? And will it leak from there if the vent is plugged or if it is over filled? Do the tranfercase and tranny mix gear oil with each other?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:47 AM

How much oil came out, a few drops or pop can full?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

half a beer can.

Have you ever seen this hole i am talking about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It is not unheard of for fluid to leak out of the X-fer case if it is overfilled. There is a breather on the very top of the D300, did the fluid come out of that breather? If it did come out of the breather then I would not worry too much about it the case was probably over filled. It is pretty easy to over fill the case when it is sitting on the bench.
If you are sure the fluid did not come from that brether then you should take a rag and clean your new D300 up real good. Then fix your clutch linkage and take it for another short drive, stopping often to look under your rig to see where the fluid is coming from.

I would be a bit concerned about the water in your case, that isn't really the best thing for it. Next time you are under your rig with some free time you should take the inspection cover off the D300 and drain out all the junk that is in there, (probably not a bad Idea to do the same to your trans). Use some break cleaner and spray the inside of the case and get all the crud out of there. Then put the cover back on and fill it with fresh fluid. Your case will be much happier, and it will probably shift better.

It is great to see another Vermont'er on the board. Where are you at? I am in the burlington Area. Are you associated with any of the local 4x4 clubs?

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice buddy. I will be getting back after it today.
I live up in Jeffersonville. I don’t know of any clubs except for Green Mountain 4WD.
I would love to get involved with some guys that go wheeling.
My buddy has a farm in St. George, and we were thinking of having a bog sometime soon. He got the excavator to make it all easy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Way Outta Control

I'm wondering if when you drove home in 1st gear, if the transmisison didn't start to overheat and boil out the lube?

Have you considered that senario?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

thats a good thought, but i just try it out in the drive today and it leeks very little.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Way Outta Control

I think I'd divorce the Dana 300 from the transmission and replace the:
  • Transmission output shaft seal
  • Dana 300 Input shaft seal
The cost is minimal, and you should get rid of the leak if it is leaking through the seals. Be sure to inspect the shafts for scoring if you do repalce the seals.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Leve makes some good points.

I don't want to hijack this post but it is a small world example that you live in Jeffersonville. I spend a lot of time there. I have a hand full of friends who live there, and a bunch of family.

I spend a lot of time there in the summer with my jeep. I drive a big red YJ. (SOA on 37" swamper boggers, I run half doors, and it never sees a top.)

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Ya its a small world! Always looking to meet a felow Jeep guy. Let me know when your up and we can grab a beer down to Robbies Wildlife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode