Need info on flat towing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need info on flat towing

Hi -

I know this has been discussed before, but to be honest, since it didn't really affect me at the time, I've forgotten most of the little hints I've read...

Anyway, I just bought a new Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x4, and would like to flat tow my CJ-7 with it - however I have no idea how. I did get the 360, HD service group, tow package, and 4-wheel anti-lock brakes - so the truck should tow it with no problem - right? I did purchase and am in the process of connecting up a tow bar.

I need to know what to do with the driveshafts, steering, shifters, etc, and any help is greatly appreciated. The Jeep has Dana 30 front with Warn hubs and lock-rite, AMC 20 rear with one-piece axles and lock-rite, T-18, Dana 18, and a Warn overdrive. I also have power steering and 33" mud-terrains on champion beadlocks.

Thanks so much - look forward to finding out the right way to tow this crazy combination! - Chuck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:13 PM
Official Historian

Re: Need info on flat towing

the way i tow my m38a1 is to put the transmission in gear and the dana 18 transfer case in neutral. i have drive flanges on the front instead of lockout hubs.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 01:53 PM
TEX

<font color=purple> Taking this in another direction, you need to run your truck in 3rd (O/D off) while towing, if you have an automatic. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 03:35 PM
Ellis

Tow with hubs unlocked, transmission in 4th gear, Transfer case in neutral. Make sure you have appropriate level of lubricant in both pumpkins, trans and trans case. Check for heat buildup in the trasfer case and hubs after a few miles. If no heat you are probably OK. Ditto on the NO OVERDRIVE when towing. I burned the transmission up on my Z71 returning to GA from Rubricon. I spent 2 extra days in Salt Lake City while the trans was rebuilt (5500 miles)

80 CJ5, 52M38
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chuck:
I flat tow mine with front hubs unlocked, t-case and tranny in neutral and because I'm the worrying type I disconnect my rear drive shaft at the axle and tie it up to the frame. I'm told I don't need to do that with my D20 t-case, but a little extra precaution makes the ride alot more relaxing for me . I don't know if you need this with the D18 or not. This set up works fine for me flat towing my locked CJ7 with 33s. You may have to make slower, wider turns because some times those front tires don't wanna track too well. As far as what Tex said about towing in 3rd I agree except if your at highway speed and not towing up a grade I think you can run in overdrive. You just don't want that auto. tranny "gear searching" back and forth between drive and OD a lot. Oh yeah, don't forget to unlock the steering column on the jeep before you take off!!
Shain

P.S. Tex: solved that Chevy overheating problem . . . '00 Powerstoke pulls like a champ!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 04:02 PM
TEX

<font color=purple> On that O/D, one thing to keep in mind is that unless you have pretty low gears (like 4.10's or lower), you'd be hard-pressed to see any sort of mileage increase over Drive when using O/D. When I used O/D before I knew better, I got 8 MPG at 75. That's also what I get in Drive. This is with 3.73's BTW. So, basically there's no benefit to using O/D & there is a possibility of damage. So, I'd avoid it.</font color=purple>

TEX
<font color=purple> P.S. I'm going to solve my overheating problem with an '01 6.0. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I pull the rear shaft out and unlock the front hubs, I do this for several reasons, one is I know a guy who used to tow in t-case neutral and it somehow got knocked into gear while towing, big coin there, the other is the less parts spinning the better, both from a wear standpoint and a milage standpoint. I can actually feel the difference in drag with the rear shaft in my willys (t-98 dana18)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why put the tranny in gear if the t-case is in neutral?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 05:34 PM
Official Historian

the transfer case's output being turned will keep the bearings lubed when in neutral. the transmission's output shaft will not keep the bearings lubed in neutral. by putting the transmission in gear, it is kept from rotating. even with the transfer case in neutral there is enough friction to turn the transmission's output shaft.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can always put a floater kit on the rear and just unlock the hubs and away you go.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode