hard top windows - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

hard top windows

ok so my hardtop was in pretty crapy shape and leaked, so i got a new one given to me, well my delema now is it has no windows, but the windows are the same. has anyone ever pulled the side windows? they dont look as though they are glued in i think its just the weather striping thats holding them in... any advice on removing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That does come up from time to time. I would say do a search but it seems that no one can.... So here's a thread from a couple weeks back (it could have been found by searching for "glass")

glass

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Veteran

Sadly, I just pulled A window out of my 95 YJ hard top.

I put the jeep on its side about a week ago. No Damage to me, little damage to the Jeep, but the Hardtop ripped itself loss and folded itself up. The bolts ripped out of the fiberglass, and the top folded itself up. If it had stayed on the jeep there would have been no damage other then a broken window.

Ok, whining over. I pulled the remaining good side window using only a Dull Swiss Army Knife. Took about 10 minutes total. Here is what I did.

1. Cut lose the trim around the outside. This a T shaped piece of plastic/rubber around the edge. The top of the T faces out, while the leg fits in to a gap filled with sealant between the edge of the glass and the top. I cut the leg off the T to remove the top.

2. From the inside I ran the knife around the window parallel to the glass on 3 sides. It took multiple passes to get all the way through the rubber sealant. The corners took more work then the straight sections. After cutting through the rubber the knife tip passed through to the outside. I then tipped out the window and cut the 4th side. And the window was out.

When you get the knife between the Glass and the frame it is tempting to use it pry. Don't! If you want to push the window out, do so with the palm of your hand this spreads the force. Prying puts a point stress on the edge of the glass and will cause it to break or Crack. If I had a dollar for every window I almost had out and pried on and broke.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode