Ignition, Help Please! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Ignition, Help Please!

Hey guys, I did a search on this but really need to know where to find this part. I dont know how to post photos on here, so I'll describe it the best I can. Chilton label's the part as a lock rack, The part is located in the steering colum. It is turned by the ignition cylinder and pushes a rod that essentially engages the ignition. It cannot be welded back together, poster LEVE put up a photo of it in a post in 06.
If you can help me I also need to know how to replace it. I can get the broken piece out, but that's only because it's broken. a new one would prob. need to be taken down more.
I was thinking about wireing a pushbutton start, but after reading some threads I'm gonna just try to fix it RIGHT! Ya'll have come through for me b-4 so thanks in advance.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Way Outta Control

That'a a GM part... and NAPA should have them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yes napa should have the part and to replace it you need to take the steering wheel off.. get yourself a steering wheel puller, it makes things really easy.. once you pull it off.. then its just taking out some screws and pulling the cap off, then the turn signal switch.. then you will have to unbolt the metal piece that the lower portion of the rod goes into from the steering column.. then the part with the key switch should pull off.. and you can replace the rod then..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

That easy? I'll take the broken part to Napa today and see what they can come up with. Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Fairly easy and yes if you take the broken part to Napa, someone will know what you need. Take your time, I would compare the insides of the steering collumn to a 3D puzzle. Take pictures of the disassembly if you have to, go slow, and put it back together in reverse order one step at a time.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This link might help:

Tilt Column Fix

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Olllllocj great link thanks!

W ell I went to Napa, carquest, checker, and noone had the dang thing. My friend at Checker called Autozone, god I hate that place. well guess? what they had it! 9.99 so Autozone got mybusiness by default! Oh [email protected],I hope it dosnt break in a week!

Thanks for your help ya'll, I'll let you know how it goes
Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok I got the colum striped down to the pivot pins, the link states that I can use a 8/32 bolt through, a 9/16th socket or a equiv. in nuts...well as I started the bolt into the pin it started to move YES! man I'm stoked, then.... snap. what the? no ... the darn bolt broke off inside the pin. Ok I'll back it out. no such luck its just some cheep steel that keeps breaking off or getting smoothed out. I think I'll have to tap it, but I've never done that b4. AAhhhhh! Tomorow I'll continue it, I think sometimes its just best to walk away and take a fresh breath before I break something else.
Thanks all
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

First you should have a nut and a couple of washers toward the head of the screw.

I know the pictures are not very good.

After you thread the screw into the pivot pin tighten the nut down on the washers and socket to pull the pin.

Maybe a concept that should be covered in that write up.

The pivot pin should be harder than the broken off screw. Hope that you have a tap.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

olllllllocj I did just as you described musta been really cheep hardware,the link is great! so are the photos. I couldnt have gotten as far as I have without it Thankyou I have bookmarked the link and will be using it often. My neighbor lent me a tap set he has, so I'll takle that in the morning. I just retired last week so I have plenty of time on my hands. Just wish I had a garage to play in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode