Which Jeep to get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
QuickDrift

Question Which Jeep to get?

How you doing everyone?
I'm currently new to the whole off-roading scene even though I have gone quite a few times.

I currently own a Jeep Compass and a Jeep Grand Cherokee

I want to sell one away and get a wrangler, here comes my questions.

Which Wrangler should i get I noticed there are quite a few models, like X Sahara and Rubicon.

Also just curious with what is the different with the terms Jeep Wrangler JK, LJ, TJ, YJ, and CJ? My friend was talking about them and trying to tell me which to get and I had no idea what he was talking about.

Also I noticed you all have been telling other new Wrangler people to get a winch and roll cage. Which would you prefer? Like type and brand wise and all. Also what type of wheels should i get for the description listed below.

The type of Wrangler I want to use is for the beach / mountain off roading such as going through creeks, mud, snow and mountain terrain. I live in PA so its basically all we get. Also I would use it for drive on beaches and such. So I'm not looking for anything too hardcore as a starter. Basically something where i can get to camp sites, rock climbing areas and places in the mountain side. But to also have alot of fun with while i off road.

Any help would be greatly accepted and honored.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Way Outta Control

Get a TJ - Rubicon. It's the best off-road non-modified-out of the box Jeep ever made.

As for a winch and roll cage.. get both... you need both. Brand? I like Warn for a winch. For a roll cage... it's a crap-shoot. I'd look at a local builder who knows how to build cages. This is a job you want done right... the first time.

As for what the letters mean, there's a whole lot of myth, falsehoods, mirth and just plain bad information out there so I'll not add to it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 PM
QuickDrift

Okay and what about Manual. 5 speed or 6 speed? does it make much difference on a wrangler? I know for street cars it does for speed and torque, but for off roading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
QuickDrift

Anyone have an idea how to set up a navi system? Like put one into the jeep its self so it runs while the jeep is on?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM

I bought a cheap GPS receiver for about $90. I also got Delorme map software for about $100. I installed the software in my laptop, plug in the GPS and have a great nav system with a nice, big screen. The GPS is a Garmin that's powered by the cigarette lighter, but they now have one that's powered by the USB port. I wish I had waited a little longer. I have an inverter in the Jeep that powers the laptop (AC power adapters commonly come with laptops, while 12-volt adapters are extra cost) and also can run hand tools and such when necessary.

I have Delorme Street Atlas which calculates routes, knows about restaurants, tourist attractions and all that cornball stuff, figures distances and estimated times and a lot more. I also have Delorme TOPO which has trails and fire roads down to great detail.

With laptops now available for around $400 I think it's a great way to go, especially since I need a laptop anyway for business. One of these days I'll make a swivel mount to hold the laptop so it's visible from either seat, but for now it works fine just sitting on the passenger seat, unless I have a passenger in which case it's on his lap.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode