need help feedback on optima batt arr broken case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

need help feedback on optima batt arr broken case

hi just got the optima batt by ups and did not notice case cracked broken see pic i put it on deep cy charger and seemed like taking charge ok at first started out at 15 amp and after about half hour went back to check on it charge had dropped to about 9 amp looked ok then the charger kicked out i checked batt and found the damaged to the bottom corner .... the gell does not seem to be coming out but is just a little wet .... took pic of the batt right away and sent a email off to the guy i got the batt from...... what does this look like to you guys any chance batt can be repaired sealed up or no..... i know ups coveres up to first 100.00 never had to claim anything to them before will i have a problems help thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 026.jpg (173.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 027.jpg (111.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 029.jpg (132.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 031.jpg (143.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 033.jpg (119.9 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Way Outta Control

IMHO, don't trust it, it's toast... or will be. I know.. Optima's are bullet proof, etc., but there comes a time when all good batteries die. The one pictured is on life support and slipping fast.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ditto.....toast

Looking at the bottom, I would be willing to bet that it's been cracked for awhile....and the only reason you don't see much coming out is because it has already all leaked out.

If I understand this correctly, you bought a used battery? This would explain the 'great' deal.

If so....bad move. As tough as the optima's may be,they do NOT last forever. Like any other lead/acid battery, they have a finite life....everytime energy is sucked from it and then put back in...a small amount of the lead is removed from the plates and gets suspended in the eletrolite as well as collecting on the bottom of the case. The more it is discharged and charged...the faster it wears out.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

batt

this is the second batt i bought from this guy and the first one is in great shape he just answered the email i sent him said he had it insured thru ups and will help me any way he can has anybody had to file a claim with ups what do i have to do and are they good on paying right a way he the guy i got the batt from may have another one i really wanted to have a set of these for the winch...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have seen them work for years in that condition, Jell cells don't leak. I however wouldn't put it in my rig. No more that a new one cost I would call it cheap inshurance to replace it before something happend to it.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Question broken batt case

well that what i thought also with it being gell cell,,,, looks like ups will pay the shipper up to the amount he insured it for ... have talked to him about a replacement when he get money from ups so should work out ok.... ups said they may want to come by home and look at it... after that if they let me keep it i may see if i can seal the bottom... any ideas on what would be safe to use.... i have used fiberglass cloth and resin hardered just have to see after they look at it... also dont know about the batt charger kicking out during the charge..... shipper said batt may need charged and was takeing max amount before it kicked out... that was 15amps then went down to about 9ampss,,,,, could be was just overworking the charger unit,,,, may try next time to charge it up at a slower rate maybe slow charge of say 2 amps see if it can get it to work as a back up if nothing else....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Enthusiast

What was the condition of the box or shipping materials? If it was damaged that bad during shipping then the box should have shown noticeable damage. That is probably what UPS will want to know.

Can you hear the silence?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just because I can afford to lose money don't mean I should do it." Charles Barkley
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile damage to batt

the box was torn up and pushed in where the batt was broken... ups has accepted the damage but they will only pay the shipper i have been in contact with him and he has another batt that as soon as he gets the refund from ups he is going to send another batt to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode