Pat any new wheel'n pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Pat any new wheel'n pics

What have you done with stickers this week?
You're on leave so I know something is getting wrenched on.

74 CJ-5 401tbi, T176,dana 300, 35 pitbull rockers,8274 warn winch, Trailer Queen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yeah, what happened with the bender ride?

We burn Eprom Chips for throttle body conversions (Email [email protected])
Access our free TBI Conversion Information

C.J.O. Buck Wild Racing
O.G. 'Wreckin Crew'
Degenerate Wheeler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well... i got some beadlocks on the tires and fixed a few other things on the jeep before heading out to the hammers on friday.. got there and friday night we did a night run... went to do sledgehammer but someone had broke a knuckle off their axle so we went to clawhammer and did it.. was a good trail.. a little easier than jackhammer.. it had one good waterfall on it.. only problem we had was one of the toyotas that was with us poped a bead..

saturday we headed out for clawhammer again, that was the ride we had signed up for.. and on the way out i started having electrical issues.. jeep wasnt running right.. then not at all.. so i left it at the start of clawhammer.. i didnt want to hold the whole group up... i ended up riding with a guy from venture county axle snappers.. he had a tubed out jeep with a 401.. coilovers.. the works.. and we were the tail gunner for the ride.. so my camera was in a rig towards the front.. so no pictures.. i am waiting on getting some from a few peeps that were there...
took us about 6 hours to do that trail.. came back to the jeep and found a loose connection to the ignition module and got it running again....

got back to camp and waited for dinner.. the benders cooked up nice dinner for folks who had paid and had a raffle.. i didn't win anything.. but they gave away all really nice prizes.. nothing really small.. the big prizes where 3 axles housings from diamond axle and a transfer case from marlin crawler..

saturday night came around and we rolled out to do wreckin ball... got about a third of the way into it.. and my alternator had fried... so the battery ran dead.. jeep is dead.. i was able to atleast get down out of the trail under my own power.. now this trail is badazz... it was getting really knarly fast.. the two toyotas i was with had some trouble getting turned around on the trail.. but didnt break anything major.. (oh also let me say one toyota and myself had no lights at all, so we had led maglites taped to our bumpers).. so they get down and brian has to tow me back to camp.. and about half way back.. nick's red toyota ran out of fuel.. so he hooks up to me.. and now we are both entow.. got back around 3 am..

but it was a good time.. did some hanging out with the Total Karnage crew from las vegas.. good group of fellas..

that's pretty much it for this season.. it was pretty hot out there saturday.. but i did roll past F.O.H., which starts half way through clawhammer.. and that trail looked pretty knarly also.. (Full of Hate).. will definetly need lower gearing for that trail... so that one and wreckin ball will be at the top of my list for next season..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgod View Post
.. and about half way back.. nick's red toyota ran out of fuel..
I seem to recall passing to Ugly dudes that looked like they had been rode hard and hung up wet, Coming out of Tellico OHV that had run out of fuel after a full night on the mountain. Seems it was a red CJ5...

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgod View Post
so we had led maglites taped to our bumpers
man you guys are Ghetto.

Sorry to hear about the electrical problems. I thought you had that high output alternator.

Sounds like a good time anyway.

74 CJ-5 401tbi, T176,dana 300, 35 pitbull rockers,8274 warn winch, Trailer Queen.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

no... was a stock alternator.. which i know i was pushing to its max with that taurus fan... so i will be upgrading to a high output one..
any ideas???? would like something over 100amp... maybe around 120 amp.. since i want some lights and a radio on this pig..

ya brent.. that night was way worse than this past night.. lol.. ugh.. i think that one turned into a 40 hour day...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Take your existing alternator to an alternator shop and see what they can do...most stock al frames can be modified to put out about 100A....

There is an alternator shop right around the corner from me....the guys do great work...including all of the rebuilds for NAPA. Send me your alternator info and I'll ask the guys what they can do with it....it might be cheaper for me to get it done for you (taking advantage of my 'good guy' discount).

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
Take your existing alternator to an alternator shop and see what they can do..
That's what I was thinking. I've heard my buddies talk about taking theirs up to Douglas battery here in D-town Winston to have them "re-wrapped" for more output.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks JeepDawg, i will send you the info when i get home... i had thought about that too, but was unsure of where to take it...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Official Historian

I bought mine from (Alterstart Systems Inc - ) Alterstart Dallas Texas ... it was under $100 for a high output alternator. The problem with some hi output kits to retrofit is that they put out less amps at idle than the stock one did. The 135 amp puts out 55 amps at 800 engine rpm so they say.
180 amp for $135, 135 amp for $90. I have the 135 amp model.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode