Flatty Gas Tank Questions (galvanizing and cleaning) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Question Flatty Gas Tank Questions (galvanizing and cleaning)

I pulled the gas tank on my flatty the other day

underneath the coating of crap i noticed it was galvanized.....I'm assuming this isn't original, is that right?

From what i could tell by looking through the sender-hole, the tank is in decent shape inside, thought mildly dirty.

any recommendations for a wash that wouldn't take out any galvanizing in there (i'm not sure if any chemical cleaners would eat away at the zinc)

I'm sure with a good cleaning the tank will be back to good-enough-for-the-jeep status

thanks!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Gas tanks are customarily galvanized. Actually they're made from galvanized sheet steel. They're darn near impossible to galvanize after forming and welding. They would need to be filled with the molten metal in order to sink into the bath, and then inverted to drain when they come out of the tank. It would take some special equipment to do that.

As for cleaning, galvanizing is pretty tough - you don't need to worry about it. Put in a quart or two of hot water, a good dollop of detergent like Simple Green or Mr. Clean, and a handful of abrasive. I used chips of broken tempered glass but big lead shot is also good, and nuts and bolts or even gravel will work. Close off the tank and swirl it around for a while. Then dump it out and rinse until you have all of the solution and abrasive cleaned out. Get it good and dry before putting gasoline into it.

And that technique will NOT get it clean enough to weld on it. There could still be enough fumes to make a terriific explosion. You must still handle it like a bomb, because it potentially is.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i meant is a galvanized tank original to the 1946 model....not if they galvanized the tank after....just to clarify

the tank has been dry of gasoline for months and i have no intention of welding on it...so i'm not worried there....

i Just need to get it clean enough to not clog a filter!

I'll try the simple green or similar cleaner...

thanks!

I just put in a big order of small parts for it to get it bash-ready (fuel lines, t-stat, rad. hoses, and some new seals for here and there)......hopefully no problems arrise!!

-----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM

By '46 I would guess that galvanized tanks were common, if not darn near universal. Since gasoline will eventually eat any paint you could apply, there's really no other way to prevent rust. Early cars used soldered brass tanks. After that it was probably galvanizing. And I just threw that in about welding so that someone else would not think that to be a sufficient process.

I sure hope you make it to the Bash with that - I am really looking forward to seeing it and watching it work. I'll be following you around like a puppy.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

the only thing that will stop me is if i pull the head (i removed the bolts, but the head is still there while i figure out how to remove the oil fill tube....the suspense is killing me) and find that theres more to the smoking and oil-in-ther-coolant than a bad head gasket.

If it turns out the rings or valves are toast as well I may not bother bringing it to the bash

and dont follow too close...you'll be able to see the rust and the dents too easily through the 5 layers of multi-colored paint

I'd classify it as "Good from afar, but far from good"

-----------
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

You wouldn't happen to have an extra starter sitting around would ya!!!! I need one for my 51 M38. I have a stainless tank in mine but getting ready to switch it to popane..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

nope...no extra starter....sorry!

are they hard to come by?

-----------
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Greg the 46 I had did not have a galvanized tank in it. I have seen them though. I don't know if what I had was orignal or a cheap replacement.

I clen them like jim mentioned and have a hand selected doubble handfull of rocks that went through the parts washer. It is cheap and will work for what you want to acomplish.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Way Outta Control

IMHO, repalce the tank. You'll sped a whole lot on cleaning and coating the inside of the tank and still have rust eating away at it. I'd think you'd be better off spending the money on a new tank and having the inside coated than using the original tank.-
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Old Hand

Gotta count the rocks going in & coming out,,, 1 rock stuck in gunk might clog a fuel line,, (dont ask how I know) ... So will bubble Bees ...

SOME BEACH ,,,,,

DEATH BEFORE 2 WHEEL DRIVE ,,,
Quando omni flunkus moritati ,,,

Proud American

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode