Going distributorless on an AMC v8 ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cool Going distributorless on an AMC v8 ?

I was thinking the other day...which is a feat, in and of itself.

I'm still really interested in making the CJ6 an alternative fuel or dual fuel (or tri-fuel?) vehicle....

It was mentioned here last time that the problem with propane + gasoline carbs is that you need to tweak the timing for each fuel type work at its best.

so the question is....are there any drop in distributer-less systems for AMC V8s?

it would be nice to have it so i can run multiple fuels and have the computer adjust the timing for me automatically based one the readings from the O2 sensor

if one isnt already available for AMC.... would anything else be able to be modified? I know people use GM HEI distributers....maybe this could work too?

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Way Outta Control

How about using the Crane Kit for the GM HEI? How far do you have to slide the timing around? I'll have to see what I can find.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
How about using the Crane Kit for the GM HEI? How far do you have to slide the timing around? I'll have to see what I can find.
I'm not familar with that product....does it allow you to change the timing easier or something?

-----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Way Outta Control

Other than adapting a DIS from a Corvette or something, there was 2 or 3 made in Germany and France or Italy. They would still need to be adapted. They are made for Formula racing cars. They'd be terribly expensive too.

How much difference is needed between gas and propane? What's the recommended curve and initial base timing normally used for propane?

I would guess the propane needs a faster advance than the gas, since it's not as volatile - but I really don't know.

Thinking an HEI - curve the mechanical portion to follow the slower advance curve for one fuel, then use the vacuum advance to add to it for the one requiring faster/more advance. Then just switch on and off the vacuum for the appropriate fuel.
That would make an interesting project.

Ball's in your court now, get the advance curves for propane and we'll see how possible it might be.

The few dual fuel systems I've dealt with the distributor didn't have any difference between the two. But it may have just been a "happy medium."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Way Outta Control

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
Interesting (i'll read it more in depth when i'm not at work) But I tihnk it might be more complicated than I'm willing to go on this one!

-----------
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Journeyman

You don't need to go distributorless/HEI to do this. You could use MegaSquirt for ignition only with the Duraspark distributor. MS can also controll EDIS or, using the megasquirt extra code, wasted spark coils or CNP/COP's in a wasted spark configuration. With distributorless you would need to attach a missing tooth wheel to your crank.

With the MS/extra you can do table switching. So if you are running gas you could use timing table A then if you switch to pane you could switch to timing table B. Otherwise with standard MS code you would have to hook up your laptop and swap tables.

Brian

Edit; MS is essentiall the same type of thing that Leve posted. You would not use the O2 sensor to adjust timing however with MS you can use the e85 sensor from GM to tell the computer what mix is going into the engine. It then adjusts the fuel based on the mix. From what I have read on MS, timing is not changed for e85 vs regular gas.

The sensor you would need to adjust timing is (I think) an ion sensor.

84 CJ7 HO head, MegaSquirt, T18/D300
88 S10 Ext Cab 4.3 Auto (sold)

Last edited by bleoh; 04-28-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode