OT anyone know anything about elecrtic gate openers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT anyone know anything about elecrtic gate openers?

Been looking at several options on these but I am looking for brand recomendations and guidance.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Way Outta Control

Jeff, with your great fabrication skills you could easily build one.

Last edited by LEVE; 04-26-2008 at 12:17 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:12 AM

No, you probably can't. I've been a dealer for industrial gate operators for fifteen years and can guarantee that there's a lot more to doing it right than meets the eye. There are standards now for entrapment protection that are pretty loose for prisons and industrial plants, and get mighty complicated for residential applications. You can install something without the protections, but will really have your butt in a sling if someone gets hurt.

If you're talking about a slide gate operator, there are chain-drives, cable drives and rail drives. The chain-drives (Stanley is the cheap one that gets installed most often in light-duty applications) are a royal pain because the chain needs to be lubricated regularly. When it inevitably isn't, it rusts, kinks and gets bound up.

Go to www.hy-security.com to see the line that I represent. Look for the Slide-winder line.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wow Jim those look pricy and tough!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I'll PM you some price info. The Slide-Winders are more than Stanleys, but I think not a whole lot.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Looked the link over Larry after I figured out it was there and that is pretty inginuitive. My problem is I don't have time to tinker anymore. Time has turned into money for me and I just have to get something I can throw on and go, although I am going to re read the link whaen I get a chance.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Way Outta Control

Jim brought up good points about the law... I'd not even considered those points. I've been tinkering with making my own automatic gate for years, but never have gotten around to it due to the expense.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Yeah, for a residential gate operator to meet UL standards it has to keep track of its problems. If it bumps into something as it closes it has to reverse to open, and can apply no more than some small force on the object it hits. After some period of time it can try again. If it again bumps into something it has to reverse to open and then shut itself down until a reset button is pressed on the operator. And it has to have at least two methods of determining that it has bumped into something. The operators I sell use a bump strip on the ends of the gate and a pressure switch in the hydraulic circuit, and some installations also use one or more photo eyes.

The rules are the same if it bumps into something when opening, except that it has to reverse itself for two feet and then stop. I might be off on the details, since it's been several years since I went through a class on that, but they're at least that complicated. That's to receive a UL listing, but if someone gets hurt by a homemade operator that isn't up to those standards there's going to be a mess of lawyers involved.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Way Outta Control

So does that mean having a hot wire on the gate to discourage intruders is out? Electrocuting thieves is Politically Incorrect now?

Seriously though. I've been wanting to put one on my chain-link fence gate.
Right now I wrap a chain around it with a lock. It's a PITA. Get out to open the gate, get in to drive through it, get out to close and lock it, get in to leave.

The automatic gate openers I've looked at have a key lock box so you can lock the electrics when you leave, but the motor chain/gear system is what keeps it closed. They have disconnects to manually override it.
That's not secure - a thief simply pops the pin and comes in.

I want to be able to physically lock it when I leave, not just electrically lock it. But that negates the whole idea of an electric gate - I still have to get out to do it.

Any suggestions? (Other than a guard with a shotgun?)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
So does that mean having a hot wire on the gate to discourage intruders is out? Electrocuting thieves is Politically Incorrect now?
Brush up on your understanding of the Mantrap laws. I remember back in the 50's and 60's when the rage in California was to protect your vehicle by electrifying the door handles. It discouraged thieves, but if a little ol' lady with a heart condition brushed up against it, it could kill. Guess who'd be liable for that death?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode