New Jeep! Now what... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Jeremylee31

New Jeep! Now what...

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2006 Rubicon with manual transmission. I've always wanted a jeep and finally found my soul mate I've been wheeling a few times but I'm not that experienced. I want to put a lift on it (and probably 33 inch BFG AT) and have a few questions for you "experts" out there.

Besides greater articulation and a little smoother ride- what are the benefits of a Long Arm suspension over a short arm suspension? Does it do anything that is better for the drive train like decrease the angle the drive shaft is kinked and save a little horse power/life on parts? Also, any tips on what lift kit to get? I hear Rubicon Express is the way to go, but I've seen a lot of TJ's with Old man Emu also. Thanks for any advice and tips you can school me up on. Here is a pic of her all stock and itchin' to be "fixed"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ms_DSC03036_1.jpg (146.7 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Apprentice

wheel it get used to how it is and what you need for your off road adventures... then throw money and parts at it... get it out a dozen times first though
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Way Outta Control

Mark's right... get the lift later. You may even find out you won't need one for the type of wheeling you want to do.

Instead, buy a Full Roll Cage and a Winch. They'll both get you out of trouble and perhaps save your life while you're driving that Jeep. You can't say that about a lift.

Spend your money wisely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:53 AM

Welcome to the board! And to the club!

What others have said. You don't need a lift to do amazing things with your Jeep. You can wheel it off road for years and you will still be surprised at its ability at times. I've had my Jeep bone stock for over thirty years and is still surprises me almost every time I take it out.

Anything you do to lift the suspension will put added stress on the driveshafts unless you lower the transfer case by an equal amount. There's no way around it. Spend your money first on a first aid kit, winch, cage and extrication equipment.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Enthusiast

After the roll cage and winch, here is a good list.
Top 10 Mods

Also get the trail books written by Charles Wells, I think one of them has an updated edition.

Where do you intend to be going in your Jeep?

Can you hear the silence?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just because I can afford to lose money don't mean I should do it." Charles Barkley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

LOL, welcome aboard.

Rubi numbers are growing and growing....you'll love your Jeep. Reason I'm laughing is you are the third person in like 2 weeks to buy a Rubi and come on with a similar question....

Take a look at the two posts on the links below, they will help answer a lot of your questions.

Look forward to having you on board and seeing your Jeep as it progresses.

https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...sion-help.html

https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...737-hello.html

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Jeremylee31

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCJ7 View Post

Where do you intend to be going in your Jeep?
I'm not really into rock crawling- the Jeep is my daily and also I don't want to tear it up (it's just so clean and awesome right now!!). Yes, I am a big fan of giving her a nice hand wash, wax, tire wet, the works. I like the feeling of the turning heads while I'm driving down the city streets as well as the trails. However, I have a couple buddies with jeeps and they tell me it doesn't matter how nice my jeep looks- I'll get the "fever" and mess it up soon enough. My main idea of wheeling is going on trails and taking in the scenery, climbing hills and seeing what's on the other side-taking pictures of the views, going through some streams, treadin' through some stuff that you can't get to with out a jeep, but I'm certainly not into that crazy stuff when you see jeeps go through a hill of rocks that most people couldn't even walk up!

I appreciate all the advice and tips everyone gave me. I will definitely be wheeling this summer a bunch before I mod it. Because of everyone's advice to learn the Jeep's and my own capabilities. Sounds smart enough to me, I'll do it!

If I'm not a rock crawler would you guys recommend not getting a long arm and sticking to a 3-4" short arm when I do eventually get the lift (I want 33's, no larger than that)? Also, I've been wondering about the roll cage everyone has suggested getting: is the roll bar thats already on it not strong/good enough? How many of you out there did this and where did you get them/are they hard to put on? I do have a hard top- will it interfere?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice- the other places I've gone online people give me the old "he's a newbie and just a mall crawler" routine. You guy's in here are all right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremylee31 View Post
Also, I've been wondering about the roll cage everyone has suggested getting: is the roll bar thats already on it not strong/good enough? How many of you out there did this and where did you get them/are they hard to put on? I do have a hard top- will it interfere?

I got my front hoops from Tennessee Off-Road. It is easy to put in if you know how to weld and will not interfere with any of your tops.

The cage should be the first mod of any vehicle you plan on taking off road no matter the amount/type of wheeling you do. It's not as glamorous a mod as a lift and tire combo, but it will be the best mod you hope to never use.

"Every time I see someone on a bicycle
I fear less for the future of the human race."
H.G. Wells
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

where are you in Colorado? I'll be in longmont for the summer and Granby for the school year.

Wheel your junk, learn a little about driving and what your rig needs and go from there.

Welcome to a bad addiction, whatch out the wheeling bug bites hard and sucks money out of you
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremylee31 View Post
My main idea of wheeling is going on trails and taking in the scenery, climbing hills and seeing what's on the other side-taking pictures of the views, going through some streams, treadin' through some stuff that you can't get to with out a jeep, but I'm certainly not into that crazy stuff when you see jeeps go through a hill of rocks that most people couldn't even walk up!
Yeah, similar to how I use my CJ7. When I got it I decided to remove the lift gained by some longer spring shakles. The PO (previous owner) hadn't done all the changes necessary for that extra lift so it drove poorly. I haven't wanted to add any of that lift back, and that is with 29 inch tires. When you see a trail description that mentions a rock garden or mud bog then proceed with great care AND more experienced friends that can pull you through. There are plenty of other places that will keep you happy. Imagine just around a corner the trees open up and you get an awesome view of Mount Evans. And don't forget to return to the same trail as the spring, summer, and fall views can be quite different.

Are you ready for some more snow on Thursday?

Can you hear the silence?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just because I can afford to lose money don't mean I should do it." Charles Barkley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode