charging the double batt on scrambler project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

charging the double batt on scrambler project

ok now that i have made up my mine to go with the double 12 volt batt set up for the winch got a couple of question on the charging of them... if i have trouble keeping them charged from the alt and using the isolation box which will split the 12 volts to send to two different batt groups which in my case i will use main side to the reg 12 volt batt up front for the reg 12 volt system on the jeep and the other side to the pair of optima 12 volt batt wired together to make the 24 volts for the winch..... and because the jeep sits a lot not used as a daily driver.... i have now been looking at ele 110 volt powered batt chargers to be able to keep the 24 volt set up charged up.. most of the 24 volt chargers are more than i thought but i have found a couple that i think might just be right...... that brings me to the questions..... the ones i found that look good are for keepings wheel chair batt 24 volt system charged up and look to be slow chargers which if i am correct would be like a deep cycle setting on the reg 12 volt charges they charge at a slower rate and lower amp setting..... take a look at these and also i found one that said it is a on board 24 volt charger kinda small in size like 9x9x6 still runs on 110 volts but and dont laugh but on the fourm a member did suggest a 110 inverter unit for the jeep.... now would that really work if i had a invertor making 110volts to power the 24 volt charger on borad to keep the 24 volt double batt for the winch charged... sounds will but i do have a big inverter on the motor home that runs on two 12 volts batts that makes 110 volts for the motor home ... and if this charger is a slow charger and does draw much power to provide a low amp continues charge to the 24 volt system why not... anyway think this over and if any of this makes sense or not give me your ideas..... one way or another i will have to keep the batts charged up thanks....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6b0b_1.jpg (20.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 8c10_1.jpg (21.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 9cb5_1_sbl.jpg (23.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2557_3.jpg (40.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Way Outta Control

IMHO, you may be better off using a Battery Isolator and Integrator system.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 AM

That reminds me of the blonde who plugged the terminal strip into itself and wondered why it wouldn't power her computer.

Anyway, that's an inefficient way to do things that would run the 12-volt battery down pretty quickly if the Jeep isn't running to keep it charged. I ruined the battery in my van by forgetting to turn the inverter off. Even with no load it drained the battery flat in a couple of days.

It looks like that charger is rated for 4.0 amps, which would take forever to charge your batteries, but would probably maintain them OK. Just don't try to run it off the 12V battery.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

charger for the 24 volt batt

i know on second thought not such a good idea... again since the jeep will be sitting a lot i think if i can get one of the wheel chair chargers cheap would be nice to just let it keep them up untill i take the jeep out should work ok... the one puts out 8 am just about right.. the little on board one not so sure about as it says quick charger and it has a output of 40 amp.. the write up on it sounds ok as it said it is made for gell cell batt and wont over charge them says it levels off to a maintain level when the batt are up to where they should be.... think it may go to high on the bidding anyway..... jim if i split the reg 12volt off the jeeps alt charge system with the isolation box and run on leg of the charge 12volts back to the 24 volt double batt and i get the marine sector switch i should be able to with the switch directe the 12 volt charge back and forth from one 12volt batt and the other with the switch ok right.... that wont make any problems anyway i way i think it should not cause any... may have to get some kind of meter hook up to be able to watch the b att and the charge on them.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Veteran

myscrambler1, I know I am about the last person who should complain about this, but I find your posts very hard to read and understand. If you were to use complete and clearly ending sentences and paragraphs that would really help.

I hope I have not cause offense just trying to understand your posts and help.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

hard to read post

i am sorry about that and i do understand i can get carried away .. i will try to do better
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:53 PM

Before retiring an EE friend used to design really hi-end battery chargers, for forklifts in huge factories among other things. He said that there would be nothing wrong with hooking two cheapie 12-volt chargers in series to charge two 12-volts in series. By doing that you ensure that each battery receives the same charging current. Since they're discharged in series also, they would both always be at the same state of charge. If you hook a separate charger to each battery they make accept the charge at different rates and become unbalanced.

He said that it would be best if the chargers were identical, but not absolutely necessary. And of course your batteries should be identical too.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Way Outta Control

Don't feel bad... you should have seen my first 2000, or so, posts! Talk about hard to understand...lots of members complained about my posting format!

Sticking to the simple grammar rules really helps. Keep your sentences short and to the point.

As example, paragraph form is drudgery for me to read, and understand. I get lost in long text very easily and it all becomes a big blur. I miss a lot of stuff and read things wrong. Then I make a complete fool of myself when I reply. When I read long run-on sentences my eyes glaze over and I'm done for. I have to read and re-read the post's content to see if I can decipher the true meaning of the post.

IMHO,
  • the clearer you can describe the problem,
  • your understanding of the problem,
  • your possible fix, or
  • request for help,
  • the better answer you will get.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
By doing that you ensure that each battery receives the same charging current. Since they're discharged in series also, they would both always be at the same state of charge. If you hook a separate charger to each battery they make accept the charge at different rates and become unbalanced.
The only problem with this is that you can not maintain/keep the state of the batteries in equalliberium. They will differ, and over time that difference will drag down the quality of the system. It's a matter of time, especially when used batteries are being used to construct the system.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:05 PM

It's treating all of the cells in the 24-volt battery exactly the same. The 12-volt batteries shouldn't drift apart any more than the individual cells in any 12-volt battery do. Except of course when you build the system with batteries that have been used differently. If all cells start out identical they should stay identical because their use and charging will be identical. If you charge the 12-volts separately the system will degrade.

B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 04-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode