question and help on full floater for scrambler project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

question and help on full floater for scrambler project

hello again i have been looking for a kit and or parts to do a full floater rear end axle for the scrambler i have found what appears to be a full floater kit for a dana 44 and right now anyway the price is right i have 2 days to bid on it.... please take a look at the pic and i need feedback as to the use of this on my amc 29 axles set up and or would i have to get a 44 rear axle to use with this and if anybody would know if the dana 44 hubs are the same as the bolt patteren i have now on the rear of the amc 20.. i have a new set of american racing ar 23 wheels and they are 5.5 on 5 bolts would not what to not be able to use these on the rear... any info will be of great help thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41c9_1.jpg (22.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 130216387234_1_0_1.jpg (16.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 130216387234_2_0_1.jpg (16.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 130216387234_3_0_1.jpg (20.1 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Not all rear Dana 44s are the same, nor are all AMC20s. It looks like the spindles bolt to the flange on the axel tube, so that might not bolt up, but could. Also there are D44s on late-model Jeeps that are on a 4.5" bolt pattern, so that may not work. And if it fits a late-model Jeep D44 the shafts are going to be too long for your AMC20. And the splines into the differential are probably different too.

All in all, it's highly unlikely that you could use any of the kit without modifications. Without particulars it's impossible to know how difficult the modifications would be, or if they're even possible to do. My advice is to try to get details from the seller and only bid if you know that can easily adapt the parts.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

full floater on amc 20 rear

ok i will email the seller about the bolt pattern on the size because that would kill it right their if i could not use the new wheels past that from what i have so far found out i would have to get new axles anyway and i have some friends that at where they work have ability to cut and mach work the end and if i had to had the splines changed that would have be done... the project write up i have found show it bolting up to the end plates on the amd 20 but to slip into the round opening they have to be machined down in dia size to fit which i can get done... the price on this right now is very cheap dont know how high it will go what do you think would be a good price for this.... i know that just some new axles go up to 150.00 a set so i was think if i could get this kit for less say under 100.00 would be a good buy what do you think..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warn%20FF02.jpg (70.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Warn%20FF03.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Warn%20FF04.jpg (91.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Warn%20FF08.jpg (75.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Warn%20FF10.jpg (60.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

jim i went back to the site and got some more info says it is a warn dana 44 full floter axle kit and was off a 1999 jeep wrangler tj warn part number 61746 and 38370 does that help us thanks bill
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Veteran

You don't want that kit. It is for a TJ and uses a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. As Jim said the axles will be to long and have the wrong splines as well. The locking hubs that kit uses are similar to those used on the front of Bronco II's, and are weak.

The CJ AMC 20's used smaller bearings then the Heavy Duty 20's used in Wagoners, Full size Cherokees and J10s. So you will need a Kit for a CJ AMC 20 for it to be bolt in.

I know of 3 different types of CJ AMC 20, All of which had kits made for them.
The only difference being axle length. These are: Narrow Track, Quadratrac, and Wide Track.

Narrow track ran from 76 to 81 or 82ish. The differential was roughly centered. Width from Wheel mounting Surface (WMS) to WMS was about 51".

Quadratrac was used from 76 through 79, and had the differential noticeably offset to the passengers side, overall width was the same as narrow track.

Wide track ran from 82ish to 86 and was the same as narrow track except about 4" wider.

Keep looking and The right kit will turn up.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Veteran

Wow, I must really be a slow typer, you got in 2 posts while I was typing one!

As for a good price for these kits I have no idea what they go for used, but the cheapest I have seen them new is $800. This was about 6 years ago.

If you have the ability to have shafts narrowed and resplined, and spindles turned on a lathe; it might be posible to use a Dana 44 Kit for a Scout, or Full Size Jeep 44 or 20. You would need to cut and respline the inner end of the axles and turn down the part of the spindle that fits into the bearing on the axle housing. The biggest issue would be insuring that the axles are long enough and big enough in diameter to respline.

If I were you I would hold out for a CJ wide track kit, as they are more common then the Scout or Full Size Jeep kits and would bolt right on.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

thanks yes mine is the narrow track 1981 scrambler i was looking for info and found the size of the bolt pattern would not work with out using some kind of ad plate which i am not to wild about doing i went to warn and tried to find out about the numbers but seems they dont make it anymore... i will keep looking just the price on this i found at a another site was like 800.00 and if i cound use even part of this at the price it may go for would be a steal
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just wanted to give you my take on full foaters.

When I was beefing up my AMC20 axle, I looked into the full foater....one of the benifits being that it's easy to flat tow.

Based on feedback that I've gotten from other guys, the weak point of a full foater is the locking hub. Next is that they tend to leak more than a solid axle setup.

Some people say that it's better to break a hub than an axle....if the hub on a full floater breaks, you can still drive out using the other wheel/front or tow it out. Whereas, if the axle on a solid breaks...depending on how it breaks, you are stuck.

With that said....the likelyhood of breaking a quality solid axle is a lot less than the ds or locker going.

My personal opinion....wait...wait until you find someone who is offloading their rear end that already has a full floater on it....until then, go with solid axles....or just leave it stock.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 PM

A full-floater truck axle isn't likely to have breakage or leak problems. But to unlock it you have to unbolt the axle and pull it out.

Aren't there full-floater versions of the Ford 9"?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode