OT - summer "job?" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OT - summer "job?"

Hi

So...it's the time of year when I start thinking about how I can make some extra cash in the summer...I'm a teacher...I teach summer school from 5-10 am...I currently have no "duties" from about 10 to about 4 when I will pick up my little ones from day care...

I'm looking for some help brain storming ideas on how to make some extra cash...

I'd rather not get a "real" part time job...something that's going to be like stocking shelves at the local hardware store...I'd rather have something that's a few days here and there...I'm not above working hard...but would still like to have some flexibility in my summer...

So...any ideas? I live in a community of about 8,000 people and am 25 miles from the "big" city...Madison...I've got a truck and a trailer...I have some carpentry skills...I can mow lawns...I can shovel manure...I can wash cars...I can part out cars (have had some luck with Jeepsters...finding those are kinda tough though...)...

I'm pretty hairy and not all that attractive so dancing is out...

I'd rather work for cash but know those types of gigs are getting harder and harder to find...

So...can anyone help me brainstorm ideas and ways to put them in play?

Thanks!
Patrick

why yes, yes i am a moron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Teachers in my area all paint houses in the summer or do handyman jobs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by upalittle View Post
Teachers in my area all paint houses in the summer
Same here... easily distinguished by their feet curled into "bird claw" shapes from standing on ladder rungs ALL DAY!

Seems to me, parting out vehicles is both flexible & predominately a "cash & carry" industry

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Scrap business. You're either is given old vehicles and junk or paid to haul it away. Then remove anything that can be readily sold and haul the rest to a recycler and sell it by the ton. Three individual profit streams from a single source. Of course you need a significant tow vehicle and trailer, and a place to pile the stuff until you make up a load. Get some business cards printed up and stick them in doors where there's junk in the yard.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

To expand on what Jim was saying, aslo hit garage sales and pick up items that you can get cheap and turn them on ebay. I know a guy that does this on the side and makes some pretty good change....even thought about doing it myself to help build up the jeep, but I don't like dealing with people ,

maybe mowing lawns...landscaping. I know another guy that started doing that on the side and he got so busy, he quit his good paying day job and went into it full time, now has some commercial accounts like the Mickey D's and some of the other stuff around town and just sits back and lets his laborers do the work while he makes the money.

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

A lot of the teacher's around here work at the camp grounds in the summer. Don't know if you have anything like that in your area but it's a thought.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'll second everything thats already been said!

in highschool i bought garage sale stuff and resold on ebay for a decent profit.

also the junk / parting out cars business seems decent

any car bing sold for 500$ will probably have more than 500$ worth of parts.

I also did handy-man type work one summer in college...way better than a real job and once you get going its not hard to work for cash. i was getting 10$ cash, no tax,....which was way better than the other min. wage jobs in that town (college towns are known for not paying much since theres such a large pool of people willing to work)

other ideas

If you like dogs, you could watch peoples dogs while they go on vacation, at their house....or yours if you happen to have a kennel area

if you have any craft skill you could make stuff and resell it at farmers markets and the such....I go to these from time to time.... if you want the specific specific idea i have in mind i can share by PM....I dont want to give away my money making secrets to just anyone!!!.

or put your skills list on craigslist...

maybe someone needs a welder/lawnmower/kids-bike-assembler ??

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Way Outta Control

... Amway!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Avon Calling!

Could wear a nice little sea-foam dress?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 AM
Enthusiast

Do you have a company in town that handles temporary employment needs? They often have short term things going on.

Does anything you teach translate well into local businesses, such that you could fill-in for vacationing employees? Maybe get some clues from your students about when they will be away on vacation and where their parents work.

Can you hear the silence?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just because I can afford to lose money don't mean I should do it." Charles Barkley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode