Jeep Buggy Update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Jeep Buggy Update

Here are a couple of pictures on the buggy progress. The axles are under it and have been rebuilt. Front 5.13 gears and a lockright, rear 5.13 gears and a mini spool.

Coilovers are on and should be just about perfect when I get the drive train, and 1 or 2 people in it. Right now the front is compressed only 3/4" and the rear a little over 1". When I get the drive train/etc. in it it should be compressed about 3 more inches front and rear.

I have a set of 6.5 gears comming for my divorced x-fer case and I plan to try and get my engine/tranny in this weekend.

I have finally decided to use the Cushman engine and tranny(because I have it) with the Sami divorced transfer case. My final drive ratio will be 120:1, I think my engine can push ed 1450lbs at that ratio.

Steering is in progress and seats are ready to be installed.

It sits level, my wife just needs some practice with the camera. BTW the wheel base is 101.5" right now! AND yes I have to move my front lower arms, I just tacked them there to get the buggy rolling so I could move it back into my garage, didn't want them on for good until I get the motor and tranny in to make sure there will be no interference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep.JPG (32.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg jeep2.JPG (72.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep3.JPG (78.7 KB, 2 views)

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!

Last edited by KentuckyCrawler; 04-24-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

LOL, that looks awesome. is that still for coop??? If so he is going to have a blast, as well as anyone else driving it When you guys outta there? Hope you can make it down some time this summer, if so, let me know a little ahead of time and if theres time we'll see about trying to put something together to hit the trails or something.

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It is still for Coop, but he will have to grow into it a little. I am makeing the drivers seat adjustable.

He is going to have to learn the right way, with a manual tranny!!

Although 4wd will be reserved for Dad only for quite some time!!!!

I am still pushing to get it running before the bash. If it is that may be its shake down run. May have to pull both my Jeep and the buggy up for it.

I want to get it all together, then strip it down paint and re-assemble. Not much time left.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

look'n good!

you got a lot of work to do before the 17th for the bash though

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Lookin good!! You are making better progress than me.
Two questions for you. Are those Toyota Axles??? Next one is did you order your seats online or buy them from a local shop???
I just got a set of those seats in Tuesday from Jeg's and could not believe the shipping cost on them. I think I paid $34 for each seat without the covers and the total came up to $126 because of an over sized shipping cost and they weren't even in a box. They came in platic bags not that it mattered.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Those are actually Samaurai axles. I wanted them narrower than the toyota's. I figured that with a 1500 or less lbs buggy they should survive. If not I have a HP44 and a 9" from a bronco that it will get.

I have the basically the same seats but with the covers. I bought them off of ebay from a guy in Ohio. He delivered them to me because his daughter goes to college just down the road. $100 total with the delivery!!!!!! The delivery cost is the reason I looked around before buying new.

They are basically brand new, he was using them in a porche.

I started mine right at the end of November, so I have had more time than you. I rally hadn't worked on it since the end of January because I have been collecting parts.

I should be pretty good on parts now looks like I am just missing drive shafts, pedal assembly,harnesses, and some small things.

I have an engine/tranny/x-fercase now, fuel cell, battery, seats, hydraulic steering valve, all my aluminum for floor pans/body panels, head lights, etc.

I just really need time to work on it, only in town on the weekends and the wife doesn't like me spending all my time on the buggy!

Brad

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

Time is allways an issue!! It's looking good. I stopped on my suspension for now, Im trying to locate another D44 fornt to put in the rear. For your peddals, find you a dirt track forum. A guy I work with has me a set of Willwood peddals when Im ready for them. He says you can find them for sale on the forums all the time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:05 AM

your rig looks real nice, should be alot of fun. be carefull with the sami axles tho. i had one that when i welded the spring pads on for a SOA lift it broke the tubes all the way around a week later because they are way to thin to weld to. the gears and shafts are great but the hubs and tubes on the sami axles are week as hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode