Tow Rigs Extended vs. Crew, Stroke vs. Cummins vs. Dmax? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Tow Rigs Extended vs. Crew, Stroke vs. Cummins vs. Dmax?

I'm seriously starting to shop for a tow rig and am not sure what to buy. I have a budget of about 15-20 grand max and am looking for a truck to last 10years.

I know I want 4 wheel drive and diesel other then that i'm not sure. I know a regular cab just won't work with 2 dogs, a girl friend, and in 10 years some evil little Andys could be running around the world. I'm not sure if I should go extended or crew cab. There are many more extended cabs in my budget then crews but the room in a crew is nice.

So far i've driven probably 15 used diesel and am still not sure what to buy. Lots of the trucks in my price range have seen very hard lives or are junk.

I drove an '02 crew cab/ short box duramax with 170k on it yesterday for 17,900. They had just used it to pick up a used truck and I got to drive it with about 11k of truck/ trailer behind it. It was an amazing ride and I kept forgetting I had a trailer behind me. The truck was in good shape and well taken care of.

I also drove an '01 f250 crew cab/ short box 7.3 power stroke with 120k on it for 16,800. The truck was nice through it had a little bit of rust on the floor boards. I was almost sold on it till I drove the duramax.

Pretty much for trucks in my price range I can get a pretty decent power stroke with 100-140k or a higher mileage duramax. I havn't found/ driven many cummins, the one I drove in my price range was a UP truck starting to rust pretty bad.

Any thoughts on a tow rig?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Andy, I went through this a year ago in September. I can tell you patience is your best friend. I looked at 10 year old trucks that were "nice" but I couldn't bring myself to buy a truck with 150,000 miles on it for 16,000.00 with little to no guarantees. All of them were upside down in loan value and I wasn't trading anything in. I looked for months and even ordered my trailer which I knew my old chevy wasn't up to pulling and continued to look. About 2 weeks before the trailer was done I was called by a local Ford dealer whom I had told exactly what I was looking for and what I wanted to pay. He had a crew cab 4x4 F250 with more extras than I wanted but the best part was I bought it with 7000.00 equity in the truck and thousands less than models 5-7 years older. The excuse they gave me for the good deal was: Diesel prices were high, Dollar cheaper than now, the truck had 105000 miles on it and banks wouldn't loan money on it. We went to the bank and came back with a check the next day. Payment is kinda steep but that is due to the short loan term and the interest rate wasn't all that good at that time.

As for model,,, I like Ford and Dodge. I DO NOT LIKE CHEVROLET DIESELS. Almost everyone I know that has one has had trouble with them. I put 45,000 miles on my Ford, I am talking 80% towing miles pulling daily. The only Issues I have had was brakes which it needed when it was bought and ball joints that were suspect at the same time.

There are alot of good Dodges out there and it is really hard to beat their reliability. Besides I have a soft spot in my heart for a cummins.

If you get a powerstroke be carefull about the 6.0l The 73 went out in 99 but was a proven erformer for years.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Way Outta Control

I keep looking at the ol' PowerWagon in the diveway and thinking... I need to update the beast.

Gosh Andy, I don't want to rain on you're parade here...but ARE YOU CRAZY!

Why even think of buying a truck when you can make your own? You got an 7am to 3pm job, summers off and a whole lot of willing hands to help. Find yourself a rolled rig, save a lots of money and build one of these!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

First off Andy, I'd def. go with the Crew Cab. Best truck decision I ever made. Why do you think you need the 4x4? I have it but certainly don't "need" it. I seldom use it and never used it in the 2+ years I was in CO. Unlike Jeff, I absolutely LOVE my 06 DMax. It's by far the best diesel I've ever owned. (I currently still own 2 Fords that seldom get driven). With the current price of fuel, if I had to do it over again, I probably would not go with the diesel or the 4x4.....but, that's what I have and I expect to get many miles out of it. I also tend to drive vehicles until they fall apart. Good luck with your search.

1974 CJ5, D30, D20, D44, T15, 2.5" BDS Lift, 33's, Dual ARB's, 4.27's, Front Cage

/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-----)_)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Thanks for the info Jeff. Pulling with the dmax was a great experiance. Maybe i'll have to look at a couple more power strokes, they were just all in rougher shape then the dmaxes I had driven. I've only driven 2 cummins. They are hard to find around here and I don't think they started "crew cabs" till around '02 or '03 which is probably out of my budget.

Leve a cummins swap or other "built" rig has crossed my mind many times but I would rather have a truck I don't have to mess with

Why I want the 4x4 and diesel. I'll be living in Granby Colorado at 7,900 feet and have 45 miles of twisty mountain passes just to get down to high way 70. Not really something I want to do regularly with a marginal truck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
Why I want the 4x4 and diesel. I'll be living in Granby Colorado at 7,900 feet and have 45 miles of twisty mountain passes just to get down to high way 70. Not really something I want to do regularly with a marginal truck.
Yep, driven that road many times from Grand Lake to Denver in winter and summer. There are a few kinda twisty places but not anything I couldn't make easily in a car. Nothing I'd call a mountain pass.

1974 CJ5, D30, D20, D44, T15, 2.5" BDS Lift, 33's, Dual ARB's, 4.27's, Front Cage

/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-----)_)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecamp55 View Post
Yep, driven that road many times from Grand Lake to Denver in winter and summer. There are a few kinda twisty places but not anything I couldn't make easily in a car. Nothing I'd call a mountain pass.

He WANTS a diesel and 4x4, why should there even be any debate or comment to the contrary?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
why should there even be any debate or comment to the contrary?
If you knew Andy like we know Andy . . .

Andy is a great kid, smart, hard-working, dedicated and very likeable. On the down side, he can be unfocused and impulsive, since he is just a kid. Says the Since he asked for advice on the subject of buying a truck, his friends are giving him advice, and some of us can't help but branch out a little past what he asked for. It happens a lot on this forum.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

Hahaha, you guys crack me up

ED you must have bigger cajhones (sp?) than I. I drove 40 down to 70 when it was snowing (not a bilzard but roads were white with 1-3") in a 2wd front wheel drive mazda tribute, it wasn't bad. I didn't have 7k on a trailer behind me and I was going down not up, wouldn't have wanted to try it with a 2wd. Let's just say i'm too poopy of a driver to deal with a 2wd.

I drove an '00 extended cab stupid duty today, really clean with a 7.3, 70k on it, it did have a 4" lift and 35's, could have probably gotten it for 14 grand. It either had a cool kid sounding blow off vavle or something wasn't right on it. I'm still leaning towards a crew cab and probably dmax.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mine isnt a diesel.....but it is a crew cab (f150-supercrew)....and its really nice having the extra space.

the only draw back to the crew cab is the shorter bed in the back....i have to leave the tail gate down at times when i carry bigger stuff

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode