Roll bar, good price ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Roll bar, good price ?

Well we have just been running with the stock roll bar in the Scrambler. There is a guy in town that sold his Scrambler last fall stopped my wife and asked if the stock was all we had in it. Turns out he has one that fits inside the half cab. That's what my plans were for the front and then tie into the rear one to cover the seat in the back when we have the soft top on it.

He said he would take $100 for it. I know I couldn't have one made cheaper than that and I don't have a bender that can make a nice bend. Looks like it may have been made long on the hoops to go through the floor and tie into the frame but not positve. Im thinking it's a fair price and I don't have to make it.. It would give me something to grab onto so I could pull my fat butt up into it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

With the price of steel lately, you may not even be able to buy the tubing to do it yourself, let alone get it bent, welded, etc. I would look it over carefully and determine what type of tubing/pipe it was made from. I do not want to start the debate on roll cage material again, so educate yourself on the pros and cons of each and mae your own decision as to whether thematerial ussed is right for your wants/needs. If it meets your requirements and is built well... buy it up.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 AM

Buy it if it will fit the way you want. Even if you have to take it apart and put it back together before it will work, you might be ahead of starting from scratch.

Don't worry about what it's made of as long as it's not exhaust pipe or PVC. It doesn't take much to protect you from a wheeling-speed flop. But if you plan to do endos down El Capitan or whack the wall at Bristol you'd better do it right.

BTW I don't think much of tying a roll cage to the frame if the body can come detached from the frame, as in a decades-old Jeep with rusty body mounts. Even a mild flop could have nasty consequences.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Way Outta Control

"""""BTW I don't think much of tying a roll cage to the frame if the body can come detached from the frame, as in a decades-old Jeep with rusty body mounts. Even a mild flop could have nasty consequences."""""

WAL-MART sells gopher traps using that same principle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'll be picking it up today or tomorrow. It came out of a scrambler at one time so it should fit good. He had it sand blasted when he got it and never painted it so there is some surface rust on it to get off. I'll post a pic when I get. It looks solid and the welds look good.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well I picked it up today but my camera batteries are dead so no pic yet. I thought the guy had bought it used, but he bought it new. It was made by Smitty Built. I don't know how good their products are but Im sure I can work with it. Im thinking my seats are going to be an issue. I might have to add some more tube and bolt the seats to it. I'll set it in this weekend and get some pics to see what kinda issues I might have. After I get it the way I want it, I'll hit it with some POR15
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Old Hand

I've never seen their roll bars, but I have a Smitty Built bumper and it's definitly a stout piece for the money. The powder coating wasn't the best I've ever seen, but you get what you pay for.....

It didn't work last time either.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Way Outta Control

Any way of telling the state of the inside of the material? Often it will rust from the inside out....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I soaked it down with some metal prep yesterday and it looks pretty good. No pitting inside from what I can see and the rust on the outside is just about gone. After starting on it last night I read it works best at 70* plus. It was about 53* last night when I done it so I will hit it again today when it warms up. Im definately going to have seat issues, might have to change seats . The wife was a little upset about that but we really don't like the seats anyway, very hard to get in and out of. I was looking at some smitty built seats but I need to call and get their measurments.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode