Engine rebuild takes a turn! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Engine rebuild takes a turn!

After I tore down the engines I had for the project and already purchased the gasket kit and timing chain/gears, an add is in the weekly for an 81 jeep truck for parts $300.
Just out of curiosity I called, the old guy in his 60's tells me that the truck was his stepfathers but he got too old to drive it like 2 years ago and this guy only drove it when he needed to haul something.
He then mentions that his stepfather had the 258 rebuilt like a year before he couldn't drive it!
So is there anything else on an 81 J10 that I might consider keeping before I give it away?

Thanks Again

Troy

It's not the thing you fling, It's the fling itself!

Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-15-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Front Axle and steering box come imeadiately to mind, what tranny/ transfer are in it,, Heck give it where do you live!!

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Old Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
After I tore down the engines I had for the project and already purchased the gasket kit and timing chain/gears, an add is in the weekly for an 81 jeep truck for parts $300.
Just out of curiosity I called, the old guy in his 60's tells me that the truck was his stepfathers but he got too old to drive it like 2 years ago and this guy only drove it when he needed to haul something.
He then mentions that his stepfather had the 258 rebuilt like a year before he couldn't drive it!
So is there anything else on an 81 J10 that I might consider keeping before I give it away?

Thanks Again

Troy
WHAT!!! Keep it all!!!!

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Way Outta Control

Perhaps it's not the right answer, but heck, keep it whole as a trash hauler, Jeep hauler, what-ever...it's too great a piece of Amierican Iron to part out. For $300 you can't go wrong, and in Othello, I doubt there's much rust on the body.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

ok, I know this is not what has been the popular choice but yes I'm parting it. :/
Now I have another question the J-10 has a t-176 and a 203 transfer case, this looks like a nice setup to swap in as well.
I already have the pedals and clutch MC to convert my YJ to a standard tranny, the question is is there any easy way to convert the t-176b to a hydraulic clutch, bolt on slave cylinder????
I have searched and have found some info but nothing conclusive.
is there anything besides converting the setup to hydraulic that I should consider?

Sorry for parting her out guys but I need the engine and have no room for the truck it's at my work now and I don't think my boss would be too fond of it staying there.

P.S. Rio_Grande: Why the steering box and front axle those fairly easy to swap in to my YJ?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-10-2008 at 10:19 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Pretty much the same steering box as I remember, and if the front axle is the same drop It will fit the Yj. you would have to move the perches, but that is not a big deal.

The rear may be a dana 44, I am not shure. if so and center drop I would keep it as well,,, Heck I have been looking for onr of those.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
ok, I know this is not what has been the popular choice but yes I'm parting it. :/
Now I have another question the J-10 has a t-176 and a 203 transfer case, this looks like a nice setup to swap in as well.
I already have the pedals and clutch MC to convert my YJ to a standard tranny, the question is is there any easy way to convert the t-176b to a hydraulic clutch, bolt on slave cylinder????
I have searched and have found some info but nothing conclusive.
is there anything besides converting the setup to hydraulic that I should consider?

Sorry for parting her out guys but I need the engine and have no room for the truck it's at my work now and I don't think my boss would be too fond of it staying there.

P.S. Rio_Grande: Why the steering box and front axle those fairly easy to swap in to my YJ?

Thanks again everyone.
Pull the engine and dump yours back in it.... then sell it for $700
Don't mess with 203, but the 176 is a cool 4 speed for the street...

We burn Eprom Chips for throttle body conversions (Email [email protected])
Access our free TBI Conversion Information

C.J.O. Buck Wild Racing
O.G. 'Wreckin Crew'
Degenerate Wheeler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
The rear may be a dana 44, I am not shure. if so and center drop I would keep it as well,,, Heck I have been looking for onr of those.
i thought they went to the HD AMC20's in those?

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Aaron871: I believe the case is actually a 208 as everything I've read says nothing about a 203 in a 81 J-10 but the tag on the case sure looks like 203.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Addict

I guess it'll work if the YJ is lifted high enough for the front driveshaft to miss the slave cylinder every time you went over a bump and made the springs flex. Wayyyyyyyyyyy tooo much stuff on that side, thats why chrysler did the internal slave. I'm putting together a setup w/a t-177 and Am 208. I need to get everything mocked up to see what will work, internal or external slave cylinder. When my son bought this jeep it had the external cylinder and we had to remove the front drive shaft so we could drive it without knocking off the slave cylinder. The PO Yahoo-ed too many other Puke-o transmissions and someone stuck this setup in there to replace it and found out it wouldn't work properly and we bought it for cheep, plus the rest of the jeep was pristine for a 1989. I was going to do the V-8 thingy, I have 2 more 5.0 HO engines and one wiring harness, but now I'm going to just put the I-6 back freshened up and drive it.

BOOGER

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode