O/T Battery exploded!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

O/T Battery exploded!!!

So Im working on the John Deer tractor today putting new cable ends on the battery. I get them on and of course the battery is dead so I put it on the charger for a few minutes. When I tried to start it the battery went off like a 12 gauge shot gun . Cables were right, we have been having trouble with it starting for awhile now and just trying to get everything ready for hay season.
Any ideas on what might have caused this??? The cables are good, Im thinking started caused it but not sure. I just don't want to hook another battery up and it do it again. Scared the poo outa me Ive never ran into this before so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Way Outta Control

MY guess is that since the battery was old, it was in a HUGE state of decay. Inside the circuits were coming apart. When you attempted to start the engine it was the time of the largest current draw, and that power had to "Jump" accross a gap forming at the same time in the battery. The power jumped that gap, producing a spark, ignited the gattery fumes and you know the rest.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Apprentice

I'm just going to mention my first encounter when jumping a John Deer tractor.
You mentioned the cables were properly connected, I thought I had them connected correctly aswell but after seeing the battery start to bulge and literally being frightened to go and disconnect the cables, I realized that they have two 6 volt batteries and when you jump them negative MUST be to body ground NOT battery ground or you are cooking the battery.

Just my 2 cents!

It's not the thing you fling, It's the fling itself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Way Outta Control

The act of charging the battery released hydrogen - filling the airspace in the cells.
Then ANY spark, either from inside the battery due to a shorted cell or shorted plates, or the newly cleaned battery cable connections ignites the H.

Even though the cables ends were replaced, it doesn't garantee a good connection.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast

You know, there have been recalls for computer laptop batteries because some caught fire, so make sure you are using a tractor battery I once blew up a computer chip by shorting some wires, but that wasn't nearly as big of a bang as yours.

Was it just noise? Smoke too? A busted battery case with acid all over?

I think go ahead with another battery. If the starter or wiring is shorting out then it just drains the battery quickly, heating the wires and maybe the battery. But it takes a little while to heat things up, not the quick bang you described, so I think the problem was inside the (now dead) battery.

Can you hear the silence?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just because I can afford to lose money don't mean I should do it." Charles Barkley

Last edited by RickCJ7; 04-16-2008 at 04:35 AM. Reason: finish the thought
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
I'm just going to mention my first encounter when jumping a John Deer tractor.
You mentioned the cables were properly connected, I thought I had them connected correctly aswell but after seeing the battery start to bulge and literally being frightened to go and disconnect the cables, I realized that they have two 6 volt batteries and when you jump them negative MUST be to body ground NOT battery ground or you are cooking the battery.
Well this John Deer only has one battery. It may have had two 6v when it was new but it has only had one for as long as I can remember. My father inlaw bought it new about 10 years ago and there is no telling what they have done to it. This battery was about 2 years old. My father inlaws dad is allways say you have to be carefull when jumping these tractors, now I know why......

You guys think it's safe to put another one in it then and try it ?

Oh and I forgot to mention when I first put it on the charger, I tried to see if it would crank and it made the charger smoke a little. Is this because the battery was shorting out ?

Last edited by SilentBob2; 04-16-2008 at 04:20 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Way Outta Control

Sure... install a new battery. Check the charge voltage to make sure the tractor is not overcharging the battery. That can cause nasty problems.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Way Outta Control

This time DON'T CHARGE THE BATTERY FIRST. The recent charge last time put the hydrogen gas in the cells.

A recently charged, or charging battery is downright unsafe! Wait at least an hour after charging with the caps off to let it air out.

And - if you are still unsure, put something stout between you and the battery when you start it.

I had a battery blow up on me on my sandrail - I'd been charging it. Duh, I disconnected the charger before unplugging it. The spark set it off.
A big piece of the battery's side barely missed my leg - then went completely through the garage wall, even through the outside plaster and chicken wire. And of course, I was covered in acid.

CAREFUL!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

back inth e50's there was a race between the USA and the USSR to make an H-bomb.... and here you guys are doing it by accident

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
back inth e50's there was a race between the USA and the USSR to make an H-bomb.... and here you guys are doing it by accident
... Actually the Germans won that little race with the Hindenburg....

.... Oh, the Humanity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode