Engine help 4.2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Engine help 4.2

hi all.. i have a 87 YJ with the stock 4.2 i am just in the middle of putting a new frame in my jeep... ok so heres the question, i notice a rusted out peice of steel... it is the part when you look down the carb into the intake you see a bunch of pokey things, i have no clue what it is called and i cant reall even get a pic although i will try harder if people need one. my question is the bottome plate has a hole rusted right through, it also has a red wire coming out of it. what is this and where can you get them? or is it possible to make a plate the same size and put a crapload of high temp rtv gasket on it and bolt it back on?

well thanks for any advice and help

mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It's an electric heat riser.

When you first start your engine, a relay on the firewall closes and sends 12V through that big red wire which in turn causes a heater that is part of that "pokey things" to heat up and help the gas atomize with the air...thus improving the running and driveability of the engine until it warms up.

Without it, your cold operation sucks.

Check around, I'm sure someone has a spare manifold with one of these in it laying around somewhere.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

awesome... do you know if it can be just removed as i dont really do much winter driving and its stored in a heated garage? i could make a cover plate for it im just wondering if its possible? would this also give me a vacumm leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When the relay on mine went out, it was summer time....trust me, it will still run like crap....even in the summer....good luck trying to keep it running if it's winter.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Wow rusted through ??

Click on the image above for a bit more.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:11 AM
hbski

I doubt that it is rust through. The steel on the bottom is the cover to both bolt it on and cover the heating element. On top of that is the heat exchanger...aka the poky things. The heat exchanger has an o-ring which seals it against the manifold.

Wth the cover rusted through it may or may not be working, you can check that by measuring the resistance between the wire and the steel plate. if it's not burnt out it should be 1 or 2 ohms. if it is high than it is likely burnt out or if it is zero or close to, then it is shorted.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Veteran

I never did have mine hooked up and the jeep ran good at 40 below, and started without being plugged in a 35 below, no problem. I am not saying it would not help cold running as I never hooked mine up. It was on the list of things to do but there were so many other wiring, and other issues that I never got to it.

If the hole goes clear through and is creating a vacuum leak then it needs to be plugged or make a new plate to fit over if a new heater can't be found. I would not use RTV as it tends to soften when exposed to gas. It will eventually get soft enough to be sucked into the engine.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode