O/T What are people thinking!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

O/T What are people thinking!!

I know this is off topic and some of you saw the last set of pics when the river came up over the road I live on. Well it done it again yesterday and once again we had a stupid idiot try to drive throug, actually we had two and one should have known better.

Idiot #1
[/IMG]
Sorry the pic is a little blurry(my son took it). You can kinda see how the road curves back to the left, what you don't see is vehicle #2 so here's a pic from this morning after the water went down.

[/IMG]
Yep that's a Duece tanker sitting there on it's side. The fire department was trying to back out to the blazer and pull it out. The kicker is, the owner of the blazer was standing on top of the tanker when it went over. They are lucky somebody didn't die!! One mor pic of the tanker.

That thing might not have any axles under tomorrow if they don't get it out of there today I don't think the rear would do me any good but I will take the front and find me another one for my buggie project
[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

I never have understood that. People doit all the time around here when it floods and there is always something about a mom and her kids dying becasue they tried it...stupid people

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:05 PM

As with a lot of things, there's one way to do it right and a hundred ways to do it wrong, and lots of folks who don't know the difference.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Good to see Darwinism still exists

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Addict

jeez! i dunno if the FD deserves the "idjit" label....we would never risk our equipment for some guys vehicle...ill assume they were backing out to rescue the owner

course that dont explain why they didnt use a BOAT

'74 CJ5232 ci,Dana 30 & 44,basically a stock rig with fiber body
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Way Outta Control

32+ years ago, when I was a fireman... I drove a pumper and the Aid Car. My instructors always said: "Beware of water."

It only takes a few inches of fast moving water to knock a vehicle off the road. If the water is up to the body of the vehicle, all bets are off. Put into the mix that you can't see the edge of the road you're trying to drive on and it is a recipe for disaster.

All a driver has to do, even in as little as a couple of inches of water is to drive off the road surface. This area is unseen to the driver, and often soft, or descending into a ditch, like in the pictures above. Again, it's not a good mix. Soft surface sinks the vehicle almost instantly when its weight bears down on soft soil. If that doesn't happen you see the results above, the driver descends into the ditch as the water masks the grade. Soon, he rolls, or looses more control as the vehicle may start to float in the filled ditch. It's a vicious circle.

Me, I stay away from water when it's flooding over a roadway.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
jeez! i dunno if the FD deserves the "idjit" label....we would never risk our equipment for some guys vehicle...ill assume they were backing out to rescue the owner

course that dont explain why they didnt use a BOAT
There was no current right there over the road just standing water that you could walk through. I found out yesterday that they had their boat on the other side but when they attempted to use it they fired it up in shallow water and caught the prop on the pavement. They were trying to run a strap out to it and then they actually drove all the way through it turned around and on their way back through they decide to back up and pull it out. I also found out that there was two people on top of it when it rolled over and allmost landed on them. We had a good fire marshal up until a couple of months ago who had resigned so that left all the volunteers to do what ever they wanted. I think something is being done about it, I noticed the old fire marshal was at the station yesterday....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode