side lights for bumper on scrambler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Question side lights for bumper on scrambler

just came in from garage doing some more modify and idea on front winch bumper for the cj8 thinking about adding a tractor type small round about 3 in size light mounted to aim out on the each end of the bumper to be able to throw a wide beam of light sideways when and only when i am in a area of back road or trail ... i know i would not use them much but would be nice to light up the ditches sometimes ... the mount i just made for one of the lights is stainless steel made to bolt inside the very end of the bumper and will use a small bolt approx 2 in long that goes thru the metal bracket on the light so it can be adj and will be able to be pushed back into the bumper facing the front tires or swung out to shoot out to light up the side of the road.... they will be wired to a heavy duty togle switch with a cover and indicator light so i will know for sure when they are on..... take a look and if anybody has mounted lights this way... let me know how well they work and if they had any problems with them.... i know they are not needed but i like lights and trying to set the jeep up for runing out west at night when a lot of lights will be nice... in put in a couple of pic of the b umper so you can kind of see the are i am planning on mounting the lights....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 026.jpg (149.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg l;.jpg (126.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 024.jpg (136.3 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Way Outta Control

.. a lot of lights can kill your night vision and actually be a determent on the trail.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile scrambler project

all the lights will have separte on off switches so if any cause any problems they can be shut down... also have to very carefull on the aiming and how they are mounted... i even have a windsheld light bar setup but dont think i will be using it... i have heard too many things about lights mounted up high that do blind and get broken off anyway... i think from what i have done in the past the lower you can aim and mount the lights up front the better....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Why not start with headlights... Then you may be able to work on to other lights from there.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlllllllOCJ View Post
Why not start with headlights... Then you may be able to work on to other lights from there.
bawhahahaha...

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Hey now, guys, lighten up a little. He's trying to build up a good working Jeep. Just because he's not going about it the same way some of us would is no reason to poke him. If he think he needs side lights for his purposes, so what?

My only advice on mounting them is to make sure they can't get dragged off by trail obstacles. Mine are as close to the winch as they can go without interfering with it or blocking the grill. I left the vertical adjustment bolts slightly loose so that a branch will fold them back instead of breaking or bending something. They get folded back frequently.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

side lights mounted on scrambler bumper take a look

it is ok i dont mind them the poke the great thing about the jeep is everybody can build them different ... it is up the the guy what he likes//// but their really is no right or wrong... i like the feedback it helps me clear up what i do on it when i am not sure..... but most of the time i go ahead anyway/// at least try it ... if it works great if not that is ok too.... nice thing about not having to use the jeep is trying all these ideas... only problem is the longer it takes to finish it the more i keep coming across i want to put on it or try//// i just have to stop soon..... anyway here is what i had in mind... built the mount and tried it on the drivers side.... i really think i like it even if i dont need to use them much they are different than eveyones else.... i am the kind of guy that wants a one of a kind jeep... still please let me know what you think thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 035.jpg (150.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 036.jpg (143.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 037.jpg (138.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 038.jpg (157.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 039.jpg (168.6 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Way Outta Control

I like that they fold in, but what's going to protect them from debris thrown by the tires?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you change the angle a bit they will sorta be rock lights. But then most folks put rock lights behind the wheel pointing forward.

More to the point!

Put some headlights in it... Take it out and find out what your really want to do.

Yes it will change (likely every time you think about it).

Just don't over think what you have until you have it....

How you want to use it is the very first and most important aspect of how you build it.

Wheel it first.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

not poking fun at him.. just laughing at the comment about not having headlights.. i seem to hear stuff like that all the time from my friends..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode