Hello - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
robertriordan

Hello

Hello Everyone, My Name is bobby I am looking for some advice. I have a 2003 Jeep wrangler Rubicon stock And am looking to put some off-road up grades on it. I am semi new too off roading but I am hooked. I like Going through deep mudd and water as uppose to rock crawling. I was thinking of putting a 2 1/2 in lift kit it with 31 in tires. I was looking at the bfgoodrich Km2's. Also I would like to get some skid plates, and rock slides as well as winch. Does any one have any ideas or opinions on wich brands or anything else you think I would enjoy?

Last edited by robertriordan; 04-10-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Hi, Bobby. Welcome to the board! There's a thread running right now about suspension packages. Follow along on it, although that discussion is about a 4" lift, which gets you into different territory. And I thought that a Rubicon would fit 31s without any lift.

Our standard advice, coming from a couple hundred cumulative years of off-roading experience, is to not change anything on your Jeep until you have a good amount of experience with it. A Rubicon especially is a highly capable vehicle, that far exceeds the abilities of a novice. You'll be a lot better off in the long run if you first learn all of its capabilities and can comfortably approach them before you try to increase its capabilities.

Your first priority should be to get your safety and extraction items together. A fire extinguisher, good first aid kit, reliable flashlight, towing eyes, tow strap without hooks, shackles, Hi-Lift jack (not an imitation) and, if you go into wilderness areas or wheel by yourself (a very bad idea), survival gear, and lastly, a good winch.

Then after a dozen or more wheeling trips, you'll know if your Jeep has any shortcomings for what you like to do. That's the time to start thinking about moidifications.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
robertriordan

Thank you Jim,

Yeah It has 31" on it allready Bf goodrich All terrian. That Is kind of One of the things I am debating Cause it is my everyday Driver And It goes through alot of things pretty Easy allready. What if I put The winch, rock slides and a skid plate of at first? Maybe a more aggressive 31" tire? What lb winch Would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Welcome to the "club". And sorry about your wallet.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 PM

BFG Mud Terrains are an excellent tire for trail and street.

8,000# winch is kind of standard for SWB Jeeps, and there are a lot of opinions on which is best. Warn 8274 is the gold standard of electrics, but hard to find. I defer to others on that question because I have very little experience with electrics.

Underbody protection is always a good idea. I don't know that much about coil-sprung Jeeps, so others can help you there, too. As for sliders, I've been wheeling CJs since the mid-sixties and never banged up a rocker panel so bad that a body hammer couldn't fix it easily. They're really not necessary for anything but gnarly big rocks, IMO.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Way Outta Control

Before you go a liftin' that Jeep... how about installing a Roll-cage and a winch? Those will get/keep you out of trouble on the trail. You may want to think about making that Jeep a whole lot more water resistant, especially the electronics, transmission, transfer case and diffs. IMHO, it's better to harden what you've got than to start throwing modifications at the Jeep. As for Mud, heaven help you... there's no repalcement for displacement in a mud bog. Simply lifting the Jeep a couple of inches will do little for your type of off-roading. Will it help? Sure, but at a huge cost to do it right. Have you thought about the total costs of a lift, done right? It messes up a whole lot of stuff you'll either have to upgrade or repalce. Do you really want to get on that money eating treadmill?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
robertriordan

What All goes in To waterproofing the Electronics? I have a little Stock Snorkel off of the Upper intake Has anyone Heard anything on the New bfg mud terrain Km2?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Bobby, welcome aboard. This is a great place to learn more about jeeps.

As the proud of owner of my second Rubi (first was a 2003), I can tell you that you will be able to go just about anywhere you want in stock form.

The only mods I had for a year or so was a winch and hi-lift.

If I can make a suggestion, if you really want to most bang for your buck and you are truly going to wheel the Rubi, your best mod will be a new skid plate underneath.

The rubi's come with what is affectionately known as "the shovel". If you look under your jeep you will notice that the skid plate is very low and actually points down which will cause you to get hung up on rocks, stumps, etc.

If you are lucky to find a used Jeep Medic or Ninth Degree tummy tucker ( they are both out of business, but teraflex and I think Rubicon Express also make one) you will gain approx. 2-2.5 inches of ground clearance which is the same as a lift of the same size since the ultimate goal of a lift is more clearance.

After that, throw on a 2" budget boost and some 33's, you'll not only have a great looking rig, but will be functional as well.

If you want to do some searching for some Rubi info, try rubiconownersforum.com, there is a lot of good info on there as well or just ask here, there are a lot of smart Jeepers on this site and a couple of them answered you earlier.

Have a great day,

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Way Outta Control

Making a Jeep water resistant is the best you'll be able to do. You'll never fully waterproof a Jeep. It was bad enough 40 years ago when Jeeps were a whole lot simpler. Jeeps have over the last two generatons gotten a lot more complex. Just think about the fuel inection electricts alone. You'll have to keep it dry as a bone. That's no easy task, just as some Jeepers who hosed down their engine bays and blew out their $150 MAP/MAF sensors. Or the poor Jeeper who drowned the Jeep and couldn't get it restarted because the body control module was drowned. That's only two very common examples. Then you've got the distributor, or coil pack, and the wiring and plugs.

Now that snorkle is a good idea, but it's got to work 100% of the time.... with no excetions. These things leak if they're not maintained. They're passive, and never do a darn thing impressive till you get into water over the intake. If the snorkle's joints have shaken loose, you're in trouble... big time. Have you ever hydrolocked an engine? It ain't a pretty sight.

Of course you've got to keep anything else dry on the inside as the water spills around it. You are having fun on a trail and do a water crossing. The diffs are hot. They hit that water and things can warp at worst or suck water into the diffs. Remember, nature abhors a vacuum, and you've produced a lot of 'em by driving into the water.

Do some more research on that Jeep and keeping water out. It's a daunting job.... I think I've got a simple article on doing just that... send me your Email address and I'll email it to you. It'll give you some stuff to think about.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Way Outta Control

If what Jim said in his first post in this thread, there would be far less problems than there are now. Safety first! Be prepared! Skin the potatoes (huh?) all those old sayings are so true.
Get the safety equipment and extraction equipment before doing anything else.

Then wheel it alot - you'll then see what more you might want, and what would be a waste of money.

Everyone does things differently - what others need for wheeling may not be what you need.

Get with a club or group - wheel with them, you'll learn real fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode