My Easter Jeep adventure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

My Easter Jeep adventure

I went on leave back to CT last month and spent almost the entire time in the garage working on my jeep. I finally got to put the 2.5 inch double military wrap skyjacker springs under my jeep that I had sitting for 6 months while I was in Korea. As well while I was home the previous time I had snapped both of the rear shafts in my D35 as a result of my Lincoln locker. Therefore I had to replace those and remove the welded gears. After finding that my brother had gave away my last spare D35 I decided to buy one from the junk yard. For $200 I was the new owner of yet another D35, this time I got one with 3.55 gears so that I could use both shafts and the carrier for my 4.10 gears. Also I had a Lock-right locker lying around but it was from an older D35 without the C-clip. Thinking that it couldnít be that much different I tried to make it fit. The first problem rose when the part of the spider that recesses into the carrier was too big, so I brought it down to my fathers shop and had him grind it down to size on the lathe. That part now fit, but the rest of it didnít so I was now left with a worthless locker. I also had a real hard time getting the axle into the spider when it was in the carrier which leads me to believe that my tubes are bent. The last weekend of my leave with my brother and his girlfriend waiting to go wheeling I put spiders in it and ran it open just to get some time in the seat before I came back to Korea. We made our way out towards the Mass border (about a half mile down the road) and into the trails. The jeep felt really nice with the new springs, they were a bit stiff but they worked well. The residual snow in the trails made for some challenging spots but we made our way around rather well. I found that I really do miss that locker and I will be doing a swap of some sorts next time I am home. My brothers Comanche blew a front drive shaft u-joint off in the middle of a very cold river crossing. On the other side of the river he got stuck and I got stuck trying to take the harder line around him. With a little come-along action I was able to get unstuck and around him and carry on down the trail towards the road to get a new joint. On the way down the hill I came across a tree down across the trail at about 4 feet off the ground. Because my axe had grown legs while I was gone I decided to try to break the tree with the jeep. I proceeded to flex my passenger side up the bank to get my bumper to hit the tree, when I gave it some to break the tree I slipped off and rammed my grill into the tree bending my radiator into my fan. We then found the better way of breaking the tree was to pull it, this worked. I had to pull my brother (with a big grin) for some of the remaining trail. It seemed that my brotherís girlfriendís Cherokee was the only one to come out unscaved even though it was the smallest. So now I have stuff to do when I get home next, an axle swap and I get to turn my YJ into a CJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep1.jpg (61.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep2.jpg (58.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep3.jpg (62.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep4.jpg (55.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep5.jpg (37.6 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM

That looks like some beautiful wheeling country. I worked in Pittsfield Mass for several months in the early '80s and had my Jeep along, but never found anything that nice.

But PAY $200 for a D35! What were you thinking, man?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

thats about a half an hour south of Pittsfield off of RT8.
I really didnt want to buy it, but inorder to get my jeep in the woods before coming back to Korea where the closest thing i have to wheelin is this site, i felt i had to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 AM

OK, you're forgiven.

Beats me how a yard can possibly get that much for one though. It shouldn't be worth more than its weight in scrap iron. Sheesh!

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I agree with Jim. Should have been able to get a 8.8 for that kind of $$ Whatever you do "next time", make sure it doesn't include a D35...unless you really enjoy repairing the thing over and over and over and...

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode