CJ7 AMC304 exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

CJ7 AMC304 exhaust

Well, I have tried the search function but nothing came up. As many of you know, I'm rebuilding a 1979 CJ7. IT has the 304/th400/quadra combo. Everything on this Jeep will be new or rebuilt.

I came to thinking about the exhaust system. I want to have an exhaust system completely made of stainless steel. Is it possible to buy a finished system in stainless for my Jeep? I have headers now, but will be willing to change to OE manifolds if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 AM

When I rebuilt my '78 258 I looked briefly for a SS system. When I didn't find one I got some 301 SS tube from my metals supplier and took it to a local muffler shop, along with the original exhaust system. He bent the tube and it fit perfectly.

There were a few SS mufflers but they were terribly expensive and I didn't like the design, so I made a SS glass-pack muffler. One end is rivited together so that I can take it apart and re-stuff it when the fiberglass burns out.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You can typically get it pre-made from the CAT back to the rear...but the front will need to be fab'd.

Like Jim said, the SS mufflers are expensive.....I have alluminized exhaust pipe on my cj...no rust

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. In Denmark, we don't have any exact muffler-shops. We have auto-shops that makes all sort of repairs. But to have them fabricate an exhaust system could very easily cost 1000$ just in labor! I think I'll get a pair of glasspacks in SS and some SS tubing and get to work. I have all the tools needed except a TIG welder. But if I cut and bend all the tubes myself, I can go to a local smith and have him TIG weld it. Will a dual exhaust system with two 3" glasspacks be too loud?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 AM

There's a great business opportunity for you. Over here there are plenty of exhaust shops that have bending and forming machines. They can turn out a pipe that's a copy of an original or make up a custom pipe. There's a lot of skill in doing it, but it isn't rocket science. The guy who bent the system for me only charged for about three hours of labor, IIRC, so it can't be too difficult.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cj5 View Post
Will a dual exhaust system with two 3" glasspacks be too loud?
When I had my 304, the dual exhaust sounded great. But what is too loud? If I wanted quiet I would get a compass.

74 CJ-5 401tbi, T176,dana 300, 35 pitbull rockers,8274 warn winch, Trailer Queen.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i would run aluminized tubing... cheaper and you can weld it with a mig.. i did mine out of scraps i had lying around from others i had made.. i bought a SS glasspack from magnaflow for 55 bucks.. only for the size reason...

and yes it will be loud.. but i enjoy the exhaust thumps of an AMC v8.. there is no other like it..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode