What tires to buy. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

What tires to buy.

My wife finally decided that the thornturds stink and needs something else. I wish she would have listened to me before we bought them but anyway. She likes the tires with the round bubble look(kinda like me). So Im looking at the Iroc's or the Pitbull Rockers. Im looking for for the 38 to 39" range. It won't see a lot of highway driving except the six mile round trip to town and back maybe once or twice a week. I know I don't want the swampers or boggers, they might work offroad but you can forget about the highway with those.
Anyone have any info on these tires or know somebody running them and what do they think about them. I heard the Irocs wear fast and rocks eat them up fast, but thats about all I have heard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:24 AM

A buddy of mine ran iroks, they were an ok tire in the woods however with the small lugs they were not the best in the mud and were not very good on flat rock either. The other problem was the quickness that they wore, I dont know for sure but I want to say that he got about 10k out of them. I havent used the pitbulls but I want to. They look like a really good tire for all types of offroad and they would look really cool on your wifes Jeep. I personally swear by the TSLs, I loved them when I ran them. Now I'm stuck with these boggers that I really dont like because their to stiff and they make way to much noise even with 30psi in them. The TSLs were great in the woods and you woulden't hear them unless you were on the road with less than 15psi in them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 AM

For all around use it's hard to beat BFG Mud Terrains. They work very well in mud, pretty well on rock, pretty well on the road, and don't make a lot of noise until they get worn down.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

My brother inlaw has the TSL SX's on his fj40 and we have never been able to get them balanced out and I heard that was pretty common for them. They do work good but they seem to wear pretty bad and the rocks over at Disney will really do a number to them. The BFG's don't have that bubble look that she want's. Im going to show her the BFG Krawlers again and see what she thinks. We really llike the looks of the Pitbulls, just haven't heard a lot of feed back on them. Over on the pirate board the results are about 50/50 on the Pitbull so I geuss it can't be that bad.. I watched some youtube videos of the pitbull and it does well, just don't know how long they will last????
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Official Historian

Get some balance beads. Then if the tire slips in the rim, it is still balanced. I have Dyna Beads in mine.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I have the sand/balancing beads in the Thornturds right now and they work great until we air down. I carry extra stems because the sand tends to stick in the valves. I planned on using BB's or something bigger next time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Official Historian

If you use the balance beads, you need the valve cores for them too. They are only $1 each and work great. I haven't had a problem with them being stuck open since I switched to them.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks WILL, I'll try that and see if it works. Im thinking about going with the Pitbull Rockers but Im going to have to wait for awhile now. They are ready to put braces on my daughter now so I have to take care of that first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode