O/T project update! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

O/T project update!

Well it turns out that building a buggie is a lot more work than I thought it would be. Ive got the motor mounts and crossmember done. Now for the skid plate and start the suspension. I will be using the skid plate to hold the trailer balls in place for the suspension. It will be braced and removable, do you guys think 3/8's plate steal is about right or do you think it will be over kill ? I have some 1/4 plate that was my original plan but a friend of mine says it needs to be thicker. My plan was to use one piece for the skid plate with tapered allan head screws into tabs on the frame so I have a smoothe clean belly under it. I know what Im saying probably sounds like blah blah,I'll see if I can find a pic to explain what I can't seem to put into words For now here's a couple pics.

Just sizing up the old 44's. The wife doesn't like her thornturds so it looks like I will be running 38's after I take a tire knife to them...
[/IMG]
One more..... Not sure what I was doing at this point. I think I was trying to get it up off the ground so I could start on the bottom but ended up pulling the motor and tranny anyway..
[/IMG]
One of those plastic motors would be nice right about now. Im not sure how many times I have pulled it and put it back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

This is how Hogan sets up his rear suspension! pics are small.
[/IMG]geshack.us][/URL][/IMG]
Sorry the pics are small, I can't figure out how to make them bigger. Hogan uses a mono leaf rear and from what Ive seen on his other rigs, he has went to coil on the fronts. Anyway this is the look Im shooting for minus the unimog axles and 49" tires that I can't find the cash for.
[/IMG]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM

3/8" plate is ridiculous overkill. !/4" plate is plain old silly overkill. The stock plate on my CJ is about .10" thick. It's taken some might big hits from a 3,800# Jeep with minor bending. For a buggy that will probably weigh not much more than half that (as long as you don't go overboard ) 3/16" or even 1/8" plate should be plenty strong as long as the span isn't too great. And if it is too great, weld some stringers to the top side of it. One reason buggies work so well is that they're light.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thnx Jim, that's what I was wanting to here. I picked up some 3/16 and 1/8 yesterday. After looking at it, I decided to run some C-channel where the balls are going to mount and it will give more area to bolt the skid plate to. I haven't measured it out yet but Im thinking it will be close to 24". I would like it to be a little bit longer but the front drive shaft will be a problem but Im sure I can work around that some how. I would like to bring the rear ball up in the chassis so when and if I ever slide over a big rock, It will make contact with the trac arms going down to the axle instead of hanging up on the ball. I don't think I can do that on the front because of the tranny being in the way.

Im thinking it's going to be a lot of trial and error on this project. Both of my boys are willing to help on this project(they want to drive it) and it works out pretty good having a son bigger than me now I'll post some more pics as soon as it starts to look like something... Oh and by the way thats my youngest son in the pic, his brother is about three times bigger. I let the oldest do all the heavy work and the yougest is still on gopher duty for now.

Last edited by SilentBob2; 04-08-2008 at 08:54 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 05:42 AM

If that's the little one, you'd better cut down on the rations - he's going to eat you out of groceries!

B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Yep that's the little one, he's 13 now and my oldest is 17 years old, stands about 6'/2" and about 230 lbs. I had to go on a diet so I could afford to feed them Not really, I kinda got fat and lazy the last few years so Im trying to make some healthier choices. I gained 60 lbs in the last thirteen years of making Little Debbie products, what does that tell ya!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Yep that's the little one, he's 13 now and my oldest is 17 years old, stands about 6'/2" and about 230 lbs. I had to go on a diet so I could afford to feed them Not really, I kinda got fat and lazy the last few years so Im trying to make some healthier choices. I gained 60 lbs in the last thirteen years of making Little [email protected]##%! products, what does that tell ya!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Jim what do you think about this for my trailer ball setup. I found this over on the Pirate board and thought it might be what I need if the price is right. Im waiting for the guy to get back with me.

Joint 360 ( 1 link ) - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Uh, you building a haul truck or an Abrahms tank?

If that's for a suspension link it's gross overkill, and at $250 per it'll overkill your wallet. My guess is that it would be overkill if you were building a larger version of Bigfoot.

There's something to be said for building strong, but building smart, light and just strong enough is better. The base plate for that joint is 4" x 6" x 1/2". Where on your Jeep is there anything strong enough to weld it onto?

Making any component significantly stronger than the parts it attaches to adds nothing but weight and cost. No matter how strong you make one link of a chain, the chain isn't made any stronger.

Or were you kidding?

B. Dash Fabrication
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

WOW, I am with Jim, what are you going to attach it to?

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode