question on winch control box - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

question on winch control box

i picked ip this army heavy duty control box thinking about mounting inside ck8 cab some where to control winch from inside ... would this be a good a good idea have amyone put a switch inside..... thinking if i was alone and had to use winch could drive jeep and cuntrol winch without having to hold the long cable remote,,,, give me some geed back on this,,,,, the box is kind big thought might take it out of case to mount the dash or cut hole in floor by shifter to mount it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 021.jpg (174.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 032.jpg (184.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 031.jpg (169.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 029.jpg (192.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 024.jpg (185.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 AM

It is very nice to be able to control the winch while watching the cable spool onto the drum. I would put it on a plug-in lanyard long enough to reach inside if necessary.

And what on earth is going on inside that box with all the wires and the circuit board? How many wires go into the box?

You should be able to control the winch with one single-pole, double throw, center-off switch, and leave any needed logic in that box. But if the control doesn't unplug, you should retain the On/Off switch.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

winch control box

well you know the goverment it is just over built and yes it does have a heavy plug in conector on the side of the box.... the winch come with a very nice cable remote so i guess your saying no need to have a perm mounted winch box to control from inside just use the cable remote... thanks just wanted to get some ideas and feed back if anybody had put a cotrol on the dash or inside and how well it worked for them thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Way Outta Control

I'm not a fan of in-cab controls. If that cable breaks, guess where it's headed? If the tow hook breaks, it's got some weight. It's headed right back for the windshield.

You won't have time to duck.

Most Jeepers never encounter this problem... but it only takes once. If you're going to be lazy and sit in the Jeep while the winch is working, put up the hood as a protection. If the hood's fiberglass, like mine, all bets are off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

in cab controls are nice.. but my thoughts are they are just for the lazy.. you have a plug in control that will reach inside.. so the only the in cab control would be for is if you didn't want to get out and plug your control in.. but you still have to go out and hook your winch up... i dont see a need for in cab controls.. just more wires to fry..

i believe in keeping it simple.. the least of everything.. less things for murphy to get his hands on..

cool control though..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by myscrambler1 View Post
thinking if i was alone and had to use winch could drive jeep and cuntrol winch without having to hold the long cable remote
That's EXACTLY what most folks do... drive and operate the winch simultaneously

IMO, in-cab controls are nice for what you mentioned (not having to hold the remote...just reach to activate the switch), but that think is HUGE... way too big to dedicate that much space in a SWB rig. Wanna sell it!

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you're recovering someone else, an in-cab control prevents you from watching the wrap of the cable. Better to have the rear of the Jeep strapped to something, and be out in sight of the winch to watch the cable, especially if it's a long pull.

And if you're recovering yourself, so you need to be inside the vehicle during the recovery, in-cab controls prevent you from sitting in your regular position - you're probably hunched over to reach some switch on the dash.

And, you're probably in some precarious position, seeing you need to be winched, so you don't want to have to be reaching to hit some switch.

With a standard corded remote, you're better off.

Just my $0.02
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

winch control box

ok at least for now you have made it clear that controls for winch on a dash for floor mount inside is not something that is very good just a thought and the box was cheap will keep it may have some use for it later thanks for all the feedback i will move on to some other items to finish up on the scrambler thanks again
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Way Outta Control

All of the above reasons why in-cab control isn't so good is valid, but the reasons for it is valid too.

I set mine up with an in-cab control, plus the remote, plus a switch in the grill so I could use it standing next to it - like for respooling.

And - to prevent anyone from accidentally hitting a switch, I also put a safety override switch and bright indicator light in the cab.

I didn't want to limit my options to one way or the other.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Old Hand

I like the idea of an incab winch control. The one time Ive used my winch I had to set in the jeep holding the breaks. (seems pulling something bigger than you make you wanna move!!!) I just brought the remote cable into the cab and used it, my new doors will not alow for that option. So I can see the benifit of a incab controller. But the others have good safety conserns. I know in Moab that I had one hand on the wheel, one on the e-brake, a foot on the cluch and one on the gas...what do I use to oporate the winch...At least with a "switch" that big you can use your knee!!!
Let me know if you decide to sell the switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode