Fuse blows when I switch the Headlights on. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Fuse blows when I switch the Headlights on.

I need some help, I cannot figure this out. I installed a Painless Wiring harness (not so painless), and I am trying to finish it up so I can get inspected. As of now it seems like I have everything else working properly. Thanks to OIIIIIIIOCJ, 4 wire wiper schematic he posted up. The problem I am running into now is every time I turn the headlights on I blow the fuse. I have unhooked the headlights and it will still blow. I looked at all the wiring and it seems fine, the switch is brand new, I even used an older switch too. It looks as if the old wiring harness had a jumper in the fuse, but I would have thought with a new harness that would have been fixed. Anyone have any idea's?

"Pionta Guinness le do thoil. Go raibh maith agat. sláinte."

www.test-of-fire.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you have a short to ground.. unhook your headlight.. pull the fuse.. check each side of the fuse.. put the red lead there.. black lead on a grounding point on the jeep... this will get you looking down the right path.. did you check you low/high beam switch?

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 PM

Pats right. (Oh Lord forgive me for saying that )

Start at the fuse block and trace it back. It can't pop the fuse without a reason.

And on a side note....................

Painless has headlights on a fuse????? Thats different. NO factory wiring does it that way so you don't lose your headlights. They all at least put them on a relay.

I would personally once you find the problem put one (a relay that goes in place of a fuse) in.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

yea, i unhooked the high/low and checked it all.

www.test-of-fire.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

but you need to check both sides of the fuse.. for the short.. this will get you pointed in the right direction..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I had the exact same problem about a year and a half ago when I put the painless (not so painless) system in my jeep. Every time I hit the headlights the fues would pop. I took the whole thing apart, checked everything 5 times, put it back together and it would still trip. I could not figure it out, it got me so confused that I just walked away and let the Jeep sit for a few days. I came back to it and after even more taking apart, and putting back together I figured it out. The way my universal painless kit was set up was that there were two wires that ran to the front of the auto for the two headlights. There was also one small wire that ran under the dash for the high beam indicator. In my application I was not using a high beam light in on the dash. I took the little wire for the headlight "light" and wrapped it with some other wires I was not using and tucked it away. Turns out that wire was grounding to my firewall. As soon as I insulated it.... the problem was gone.

Once apon a time I played with legos... Now I have a Jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help. I found the short and fixed it. It was at the hot to the drivers side tail light.

www.test-of-fire.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode