Pitman/Tie Rod Reamer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pitman/Tie Rod Reamer

I received my high steer arms and did some test fitting. The tapered holes for the GM tie rod ends are no quite big enough. I won't be able to get the cotter key through the castle nut the way they are now. I thought I had a local place that could ream them a small amount, but their reamer is not big enough.

I do have machine shops locally, but am thinking that the cost to have one of them enlarge the holes will be almost as much as the cost to purchase a reamer.

Does anyone here have the correct taper reamer that they would borrow or rent to me? I have taken time off next week to install high steer and need to decide if I should buy one soon.

2nd question: I've found the correct reamer on e-bay for about $62.00. Does anyone know of a cheaper resource for them?

Any info or suggestions are welcome.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Way Outta Control

IIRC, over on JU there's a guy, or two, that will pass on around for projects like yours. It's been floating around a couple of years.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I seem to have lost mine, or misplaced it. I got mine from Ebay, I think the company was Xcut? it has done several knuckles and pitman arms.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Veteran

Tie Rod taper is 1 1/2" per foot.

About half way down on this page is a list of reamer sources and links. Mr N's Great link with lots of info.

Also try McMasterCar, Granger, MSC, and Enco. $40 is about the cheapest I have seen.

Turn the reamer slow!!! Very low speed drill or Drill Press or by hand. Turning to fast will burn the cutting edges off of the reamer making it junk. This will happen almost instantly if turned to fast so take your time and go slow. And use lots of lube, a sulferized cutting oil is best, "Tapmatic" is a common brand usually found in the Pipe threading section of Hardware stores.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Old Hand

I'm sure that you figured this out already, but figured I would add my recent experiences...

The GM Tie rod ends and Draglink ends both use the same 7degree taper, if everything I read and calculated is correct. However, the Draglink end has a bigger diameter by almost 0.1". The draglink ends are supposedly good for about 60degrees of motion.

The draglink ends are 2026 and 2027. One is left the other is right, I forget. As you can guess by now, my recent experience is that I purchased all draglink ends because it was easy at the parts store, it turned into a few frustrating nights trying to figure out why things did not fit like they were supposed to...

I ended up with a snapon 7deg taper (well real close to 7degree), I forget the part number.

-- mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I had no idea about the drag link ends... guess what I bought? Anyway, I purchased a reamer and it should be here tomorrow. I would have had to do the pitman arm anyway and it was looking as if I was going to have to use a full blown machine shop to get things reamed. Jeep owners around here and within my close knit group are multiplying so it will eventually get more use (for a beverage fee maybe).

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode