AutoChina strikes again! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

AutoChina strikes again!

My fuel pump quit on my Rubi. I was told that AutoChina was carrying a brand of fuel pumps that are better than stock. So I got one.
The first one was broken - the plastic had cracked. I exchanged it for another. 2 days to get it each time.

It's a fuel module - not just a pump, but a pressure regulator and the tank level sending unit. If the sending unit doesn't send the right signals, it sets an OBDII code.

Replacement requires pulling out the tank - a real PITA! Of course the little latched C clips broke too.
I put in the new pump module assembly and buttoned it up. I'm sure glad I cut a hole in the Jeep's bed for easy access for next time.

First thing I noticed was the gauge read Empty - all the way down! The tank was 1/4 full, I added another 5 gallons - no change.

It ran, but barely. Fuel pressure was about 8 lbs - it requires 49.2!

The assembly from AutoChina was about $100 cheaper than the dealer, but the dealer was lower than CarQuest - close, but cheaper.

But so what if it's cheaper if it doesn't work, or doesn't last.

It's really my fault - I have a rule I didn't follow - "Buy nothing from AutoChina!"

They not only sell junk, but they even play illegal games with the prices. They advertise one price on store displays, but charge a different price at the register.

It won't take long till upper management is in jail!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Way Outta Control

... and the plastic the assembly was made out of had too high a content of lead to be imported.... I'll buy from Autozone, or Shucks, if the product is the same as NAPA carries and I can get that product for less money. Otherwise it's the dealer or NAPA that gets my hard earned pennies.

5 years ago I replaced two fuel pump assemblies on each of my '91 Caravans. They went out within two days of each other. The Daughter bought one for her Caravan at Shucks and I bought mine at NAPA. NAPA gave me a 15% AAA membership discount. That made my pump cost less than the one she got a Shucks. Then, the one from Shucks failed to work at install. After I took it back they wanted to argue about the warranty because I wasn't a "qualified mechanic" and didn't know the procedure to replace the part.

I got a little tight jawed... it was a quiet ride home in the Caravan that I'd just installed the NAPA assembly into... I guess I really didn't know much about Caravans either...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

When I went to Carquest and asked them about their pump I was told it was made by Bosch. I don't like Bosch much either.
I mentioned that they were much higher than AutoChina - about $115 higher. He told me Autochina just started using Airtex as their supplier.
He said they used to sell Airtex too, but dropped them because of so many failures.

I ordered one from the dealer today. Comparing the original OEM module to the Airtex/Autochina you can easily see the difference between a quality part and junk.

I've found that Autochina does not sell quality parts, most are made in China or Mexico. Even things like headlight dimmer switches, ignition switches, modules, -- even suspension bushings are junk. That's not mentioning their rebuilt stuff, alternators, starters carbs etc.

Notice when you take a "rebuilt" carb out of the box a moment, you get silver paint on your hands! Instead of cleaning, they spray them with silver paint! That's "rebuilt?"

When a customer brings an AutoChina part to me I won't install it anymore. It may work a few days, even a few weeks, but when it fails it's always my fault!
I tell them to take it back and get one from CarQuest, NAPA or somewhere else.

If they insist, they can get it installed elsewhere.

Even on this BB, several times folks have had an alternator or starter problem. After they've exchanged it several times at AutoChina they finally get a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 AM

Silver paint! Why didn't I think of that?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

We had a local mechanic doing the silver paint type repairs on transmissions, then charging for new parts and installation. He's currently out of jail awaiting trial.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Addict

Nope, don't buy nothing from China if it has "THE STICKER", in case you folks hadn't heard it on the news or wherever, most of the prescription drugs we are currently using are coming out of China and being shipped/used in the USA. This has been going on for some time, a well known Doctor I know that lives in WI told me this awhile back, she said they come out of China and are shipped all over Europe and wind up in the Ukraine and then they are shipped and distributed here in the US so it is very hard to track where they came from. I have added China to the list of countries that need to be left a smoldering hole in the ground. The Amish folks rebuild everything electrical for me and when I get it back it functions better than any new part I've had to purchase and install.

BOOGER

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
... and the plastic the assembly was made out of had too high a content of lead to be imported.... I'll buy from Autozone, or Shucks, if the product is the same as NAPA carries and I can get that product for less money. Otherwise it's the dealer or NAPA that gets my hard earned pennies.

5 years ago I replaced two fuel pump assemblies on each of my '91 Caravans. They went out within two days of each other. The Daughter bought one for her Caravan at Shucks and I bought mine at NAPA. NAPA gave me a 15% AAA membership discount. That made my pump cost less than the one she got a Shucks. Then, the one from Shucks failed to work at install. After I took it back they wanted to argue about the warranty because I wasn't a "qualified mechanic" and didn't know the procedure to replace the part.

I got a little tight jawed... it was a quiet ride home in the Caravan that I'd just installed the NAPA assembly into... I guess I really didn't know much about Caravans either...
I don't feel so bad about mistakes in this vein that I've made in the past now that both LEVE and RRich have stated that it has happened to them, too.

Way back in 1989, my 86 2.8 XJ needed a starter and I went to Pep Boys for a replacement; there is a Pep Boys about a block from my home. To make a long story short, I returned 3 starters to them because each would not work.

Finally went to the local Jeep dealer and bought one from them, installed it and it worked fine. In 2003, after 18 years of faithful service, I donated the 2.8 XJ to Purple Heart, with the same dealer starter that I'd bought and installed that day. I started the XJ up, drove it out of its parking space so the flat bed could take it away.

Since then, I always go to a Jeep dealer for essential parts for my 96 XJ; I only buy oil, filters, anti-freeze, wiper blades,etc. at retail auto parts stores. If I take the Jeep for repairs to my mechanic; I let him buy the parts. I figure he has to stand behind parts that he orders.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Awda parts and JUNK awda parts

I feel like I have somehow stumbled into the cavity of a TIME MACHINE and have gone back to 1953! PEP BOYS was big in the fifties, and EVEN AT THAT TIME it wasn't a bit unusual for someone to take their pre-war Ford to town, park in front of Pep Boys, and just keep putting one MannyMoeJack generator after another on it until they found one that would actually work. I have long held in total distain most of the "rebuilt parts" vendors because I hate doing the r & r work over and over. The old adage: "If it runs, PAINT IT!" was/ still is, all too true with regard to rebuilt engines and transmissions. The mere fact that the engine rebuilding industry has what they euphemistically term "rebuilder's pistons" should give you an idea that: "Yes, Virginia, there IS a difference!" There is no force on earth that could make me buy a Chinese fuel pump, no matter HOW cheap it was. I don't trust the Chinese and I don't trust the crap they send over here. Would YOU stand under a load that was suspended by an el cheapo Chinese-made screw-pin shackle instead of a genuine Columbus-Mckinnon? Auto parts are ONE thing, but remember a few years ago when some of the airlines had to drop engines off and completely tear them down because they had in some cases been assembled with fake grade 8 bolts made in China? In 1996 I did an infrared survey of two gigantic jet engines at a power plant, and the inspection revealed that they both had hot air squirting out of the main flanges. Yep, both engines had fake grade 8 bolts from China holding them together. Like who has TIME to replace auto parts over and over? Isn't once enough?

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks in "The Heartland".
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

We're fighting the same thing with the Chinese jacks that Smittybilt and a couple others are selling. I get calls every week complaining that a Hi-Lift broke the first time it was used, but when I ask them to read the label on the jack, it isn't Hi-Lift. I'm back to NAPA for my parts.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Auto China struck me the other day. Went to install new Motor mounts in the CJ. not only did they switch from Fine thread to Coarse thread (No big deal, but Fine thread makes more sence for a motor mount) but the Tooling they used for the Nuts was starting to wear out apparently.

What was a 9/16, was acting like in wanted to be a 15mm, but it wasn't a 15mm. It spun onto a 9/16" coarse thread bolt easy enough. and when you spun it down to the head, you could see the difference. and it was too small for 16mm or 5/8" before anyone asks

Just crap product. I had some 9/16 nylock in my stash so I though them on there and was done easy enough.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode