OT - Wheelin in Mena, AR - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT - Wheelin in Mena, AR

Well I wrote off topic becasue the trip was an ATV trip and not Jeep related.

A group of six of us went up to Mena AR to the Wolf Pen Gap ATV Trails in the Ouachita National Forest. There are approximately 41 miles of ATV trails that range from simple flat trails to extreme trails that take some pretty vertical climbs.

The area is gorgeous, tons of trees, bubbling brooks, a couple caves, an old mine and just some pretty scenery.

They apparently allow any off-road vehicle on the trails and that was apparent when we came upon a group. They had an international scout that had broken the third member and they were attempting to pull it out. They did not have any shackles or anything and were trying to tie their strap, so I took a hit and gave them my tractor supply$30 shackle , guess i'll have to buy another, but didn't want to leave wheelers stranded. The Jeep was trying to pull the international, but the red clay mud was giving them hell. They only had a little ways to go, but I figured it was going totake them another couple hours to get out.

I would not recommend taking anything bigger than an ATV on the trails due to their narrow width. We had to turn around and go back the other direction because there was no room to go by and in fact the turn around was something like a three of for point turn due to the narrow trail with a sttep cliff on one side.

If you are in it for the scenery, there are a ton of forest service roads that are nice and remote and cross streams, etc. that are worth checking out if your in the area.

Here are some pics we took, although there are not alot of trail pics since we were riding most of the time. I'd recommend checking it out if your in the area, we'll be going back and are already planning a trip for the Oklahoma side.

kerryp/Mena - Wolfpen Gap ATV 3-28-08 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 AM

That looks like it was a swell trip. Nice cabin you had. It's a great place for ATVs, but even a narrow-track would be dicey in a lot of those places. Too bad.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Apprentice

Wolf Pen

I'm surprised they had anything like that in there. The last time I looked at the rules at the trail head, they were only open to cycles and atvs. But at that time the trails had been pretty well trashed by an ice storm too. There's a lot of roads to run in a jeep around there too. A lot of scenery you won't see on the highway. No rock climbing or mud running, just forest service roads. I service a radio on one of the mountains and usually try to find a different way out to Hwy 71 from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Official Historian

I forgot about this trip.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well......why'd you do that? It was a good time. Hopefully we will be going back before they close everything down in September,,,,,%#^@*

kerryp
2008 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode