OT- Iditarod '08 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT- Iditarod '08

Kinda cool Story. those that follow this kind of thing might find it more interesting.

My parents took a business trip up to Alaska this year and were at the start and Finish of of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race.

At the end of the race in Nome, my Mom was there when the Winner, Lance Mackey, crossed the line. They immediately strip the booties off the dogs paws and rub them down with Vaseline. My Mom was right there so she picked up 6 of the booties and brought them home to all the Grandkids. now they have each have a bootie from the winning team of the 2008 Iditarod. now granted my kids (5 and 8 y/o) don't really understand the significance of that, but Adults do. just thought I'd share what I thought was pretty cool.

that's all.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad

Last edited by mbalbritton; 03-31-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cool!

So,...

your Moms a kleptomaniac or a thief?

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
your Moms a kleptomaniac or a thief?
definetly not the dog whisperer.. or she would have helped them take care of the dogs...

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Na, just a realist. she just knew that she had nothing to offer, and they didn't want them. I don't think Lance much minded after recieving his $70K check for winning.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Mud in my Veins

Just bustin' on ya bro!

$70K, is all he got?

Is there visible wear on the booty bottoms? Seems like after X number of steps protecting the pooches feet from the ice/snow, they'd be shot like weekend at Tellico?

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Oh I know

ya there's some wear. Couldn't tell you if they put new booties on each day, or they finish with what they start. If they wore these all the way thru, then I want to know what the material is! cause that means it wears pretty tough. I'll see if I can get some good picts.

oh and $70K is what I saw on the website. I'd still like to take one of those big a$$ checks they give you, to the bank

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM

There's usually a new pickup in the deal too.

I don't understand how they do it. It takes a lot of money to feed and train those dogs all year - they don't eat dry food from Wally World, you know - and they have to feed a lot of dogs to get a top-notch team. And just living in Alaska is pretty pricey. I guess there's some sponsor money, but I don't see how it could make get a team into the black.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
And just living in Alaska is pretty pricey.
...not all the teams are based in, or train in Alaska. Many just come up for the race.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 AM

In years past all the top teams trained there year round, and outside teams were the exception. I guess the cost finally got to be too much.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Smile The Iditarod Statistics

It seems incredible to me that this nation would be so intently focused on endless games of "Thug Ball" throughout the month of March that no major sports media even bothered to mention or give updates on the greatest land race remaining on the planet. Luckily, for those of us who follow the sport of mushing, there was an extensive website which gave all the statistics, and all the news like the snomobile smashing into a team of Siberian Huskies and killing one dog. Yes, most of the teams were from Alaska, but not an overwhelming number. Minnesota had quite a few and there were also a good many foreign entries. Sponsorship is critical just like any other professional sport, and the list of sponsors runs from a dog food mfg to Mr and Mrs Smith private citizen. An 18-year old high school girl was the first-finishing rookie, and a guy who was like ...64, was the second finishing rookie. Lance Mackey FAKED a nap to outwit his competitor and gained 70 irreplaceable minutes on the second place finisher. That nap cost his competition a thousand dollars a minute.

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks in "The Heartland".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode