AMC 20 hub removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

AMC 20 hub removal

Well, after searching the forum for a long time, I give up and make a new thread

I need to remove the hub on my amc20 axle, but for the life of me, I can't get it off. I've tried with a pulley, a BFH and what, but it won't give...any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You take the hub and axle and lift it...while holding it with both hands, walk over to the metal recycle bin. Now, place the hub and axle in the recycle bin.

Next, get on the internet and order a set of solid axles.

It's really that easy.

Not trying to be sarcastic....ok, maybe a little....but the old AMC 2-piece design was one of the few weak points of the AMC 20. Replace them and you will be in pretty good shape.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I couldnt agree more.
The AMC 20 hubs are press fit together and they actually cu the splines while the hub goes on. It just isn that great of an idea to take them off and replace them. Just get the 1pc axles.

It's not what you have. It's what you do with what you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Mud in my Veins

Or if'n you can't source a set of 1pc. axles in DENMARK...

Something in the neighborhood of a 50 TON hydraulic press will separate the 2 parts! Just wear some hearing protection and brace yourself for the "sound"! 12Ton wouldn't budge my brothers 2pc axles... hauled them to a shop with 50ton press (it really made that press grunt) and when they separated, it sounded like a cannon going off (*everyone* in the shop... 15-20 folks jumped )

Don't forget about needing to have MONSTER impact gun! As Chris said, the splines on the shaft cut the splines into the new hub and it takes some serious pressure. IIRC, it's more than 450#/ft which is more than the average 1/2" impact can produce (we used a 1" impact...shaft in pipe vice for the bulk and finished off with a 3/4" torque wrench)

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge

Last edited by Caver Dave; 03-30-2008 at 06:41 AM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Way Outta Control

Yep, this ain't a DIY process unless you've got the tools. There is no easy way.

In the long run, I'd be lookng a at a set of Moser 1 pice axles on the Jeep forums and have 'em shipped. Baring that, because of shipping costs (which can be huge) ... how about a set of Unimog or Volvo Portals?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Volvo or Unimog portals....good idea, but I want to keep it Jeep.

I own a Jeep parts shop in Denmark, so I get deliveries from USA nearly every week. The shipping isn't the problem. I'll go for the 1-piece axles.

Thank you all for your replies
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Addict

I don't know what the big deal is about one piece axles, they are made FOR or to FIT jeep AMC20 housings. I run the "OLD" two piece, had'em apart a bunch of times, have an anti slip differential and use the jeep as my tractor sometimes, never spun a hub, put over 100,000 miles on them and never cut them any slack whatsoever. I am soooo hard on them I figured them to go along time ago because of the stories I've heard here. I've had to rebuild the trans 3 times cause I broke gears in there instead of somewhere else, am still running the same clutch and pressure plate when I put it all together over 10 years ago and everything was brand new then, sooooooooooo until I spin it, I'm going to run it and I run 31's so I don't want anyone to think I have whimpy tires, and it also has the MPI so it also has a bit more power and 4.10 gears, sooooooooo whats the big deal. Just like Daytona, "its the driver, not the equipment", more foot ain't gonna make it work any better, by the way, I have the correct puller and it works great.

Booger

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
I run 31's so I don't want anyone to think I have whimpy tires
Hate to break it to you this way, BUT...

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I tried to pull the hubs with the recommended puller... YA RIGHT! screwwed up a $500 hub puller in the process.

ended up putting them in a 20 ton press and it was all that thing had to get the hub off. and When it came off, I swear someone fired off a Shotgun in the Shop.

I was just trying to get to the backing plates. After the first one, we cut the bearings off the second. Didn't want to do the press again.

Looks like you're already going for the One pieces. GOOD CHOICE!

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've spun one....on the trail....limping home is not fun....for me or the guys that have to help you out.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode