80 Iron Duke Temp Sender - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Wildkats66

Unhappy 80 Iron Duke Temp Sender

I got this 80 CJ5 with the 151 CU and the temp sender is bad. The replacements I have looked at are 3/8x18 units and mine is a 5/8x18. Any idea where I can get a replacement. Not really sure why this 151 has this thread size. I have a Ford unit in it now from NAPA but the guage needle just barely gets past the C mark. I am going to check the thermostat this weekend.

Happy Trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Old Hand

I had a 80 CJ-7 with the Iron duke, try getting a stock sending unit and some fitting adapters (like what you would get with a new gauge). When I replaced my gauges I had a similar issue, but the gauge supplied me with the correct fitting. Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Wildkats66

Thanks JeepJunky,

Did your Iron Duke temp gauge ever get above the C mark on the gauge. I have a new thermostat, the Ford sender and still only at the C mark. The gauge works when I ground the line. Maybe the Duke is just a cool runner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 AM

It could be that the gauge reads that way, but a more likely guess is that a P.O. put in a 180 degree thermostat thinking it was good for the engine. Youy should get the engine up to its operating temperature and put a thermometer in the filler neck to see what the temperature is of the water coming out the upper hose. That engine should probably have a 205 or 210 degree thermostat. If the water isn't that hot, put the right part in. The engine will be much better off.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Old Hand

Mine ran between 190-200 deg. Like jim said it could be a bad or wrong sending unit...but it could also be a bad gauge.
good luck
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Wildkats66

Thanks guys,

I put a 195 thermo in last weekend and no change. Also took the sender lead and grounded and the gauge did move to the hot mark as it should..very slowly. I think the Ford sender I got from NAPA just might not be the correct resistance based on the info I used from your Aug 1 2001 article by John Foutz. The Ford unit is 313 ohms when cold and this could just be enough to hold the gauge needle from reaching it's nominal spot when hot. I guess I will look for a 5/8 to 3/8 adapter and go from there.

Thanks guys.

Something so simple can be so difficult..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Wildkats66

FYI for anyone having the same problem locating a 5/8 inch dia temp sender. The part number is MOPAR J5751811. The local dealer did not have any and advised they do not make them anymore. I had to go to a dealer in New Mexico to order. Lucky break I guess. The main point is it works in my 4-banger...I hope for a long time since it was difficult to locate.

Thanks to all for the info.

Wildkats66
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Old Hand

thanks for the update, and glad it worked out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode