Quadratrac stuck in E-drive? any ideas... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quadratrac stuck in E-drive? any ideas...

I have a 76 cj7 with a th400/360 and the quadratrac is stuck in edrive. I have checked out all vacuums it's pulling on both hoses, my e-light works great. It was working the other day, but now it won't come out. I put it in neutral and turn the knob, the light goes off, but when I shift into gear, it just grinds... so I put it back in edrive and the light comes on, I put it into gear and it drives...

so I have locking hubs, I just unlocked the front so it's not locked up on hard surfaces, but was wondering what you guys think? would it be in the vacuum switch on the case? by teh way, is this vacuum switch suppose to turn around 360 degrees with ease? because mine does?

or did I toast some gears inside?

thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

as another side note tot his, I noticed on teh top of the case, I have the wire for the e-drive light, teh 2 nipples for the vacuum canister, but there is a third nipple in between with about 4 inches of hose laying there? is this a vent, should it be plugged, or should it be connected to something? it's right there between the wire connector and teh 2 vacuum hook ups, so it's in short space?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Official Historian

I see your problem. The vacuum locks and unlocks the transfer case differential. Since you have locking hubs on the front, you have 2 options for driving this jeep.

1. unlock the hubs like you have and lock the transfer case into emergency drive.

2. lock the hubs and take the transfer case out of emergency drive.

The problem you have with the transfer case unlocked AND the front hubs unlocked is that the front driveshaft just spins when you put it in gear. You have to lock one or the other.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Official Historian

To answer some minor questions....

Yes, the shifter is supposed to spin 360 degrees.

Yes that short hose is a vent. Originally there were 3 metal lines that ran to the transfer case. Two are for the vacuum shifter and the third was to extend the vent to the engine compartment. It was just in front of the firewall and had a 180 degree hook at the top.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Will:

thanks for the response... right now I'm just driving with the hubs unlocked and in e-drive.

the problem is with the hubs locked, or unlocked, I can't get it out of e-drive... it's just grinding when I try to disengage it and shift into gear. so I put it back into e-drive and it will go into gear without grinding.

My thought is I broke the vacuum rod inside... like I said, I have tripe checked all vacuum hoses, switched them, know they are pulling vacuum on both, it just won't come out of e-drive... I have tried rolling slowly down hills, everything to get it to engage/disengage... probably just need to tear the case backend off and see...

as a side note, I really like this case, hate that the back axle requires an offset pumpkin. If I was going to get a new ford 9 built, I was going to have it built with an offset to work with this, or would a guy be better off to get a centered pumpkin and just get a dana 300 or something?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Official Historian

If it doesn't move when you shift out of e-drive, then the transfer case is working. Next try doing that with the hubs unlocked and the e-brake set. Look under and see if the front driveshaft is spinning.

The vacuum should only be on one side or the other, not both at the same time. Vacuum on the front pulls the shifter in and locks the differential, vacuum on the back pulls it out and unlocks the differential.

The differential works just like an axle differential. On an axle with an open diff, if you lift one tire off the ground, it will spin and the other one won't.... you won't go anywhere. When the transfer case is unlocked (out of e-drive) the power goes to the front and rear driveshaft. If a front hub is not locked (even if the dial says it is, it may not be) that driveshaft will just spin and you won't go anywhere.

It sounds more like you have a hub problem than a transfer case problem.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

figured it out

Will:

thanks for the input... took the back end off today and found the culprit... it was missing the detent ball and spring to hold the vacuum shifter in place... so it was pushing forward, but then it would just slide backwards when trying to release...

would you happen to know if a guy can run a small rod down there if I can't find a detent ball and spring? I think I read that somewhere people were doing that...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Official Historian

I'm not sure what you're missing.

The shifter itself is held in with a small spring.

The shift fork is held to the shift rod with a clip on each side.

The shift fork has a spring and ball or ball with a shaft through the spring (I've seen both) under the shift rod near the end for the detents.

Then at the very front is the switch for the light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode