headers for sb chevy motor that fit cj8 scrambler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

headers for sb chevy motor that fit cj8 scrambler

what are the odds that a set of 1980 corvette headers would fit a 1981 jeep cj scrambler well i didnt give it more than 50/50 but the price was right on ebay so i gave them a shot... just gpt them today a have not install them yet but from eveything i can see they are made just like the shortie block hugger headers i have on the jeep now... these are not fenderwell headers they are a fit inside frame rail type that look to fit perfect/// and drop stright down and line up with the opening to match up with my mufflers and pipes that are there now... i have been having trouble as it seems everyone i have talked too do with trying to do a double exhaust setup on a cj... anyway as soon as i remove the blockhuggers and get them in will post some pic...... but it looks good at this point....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

From what you are saying it sounds like it will work.

If that does not, I would go with Ram Head exhaust manifolds.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 AM

I put a set of corvette headers on my 1988 Wrangler, It worked fine. They had to make a little modifiaction near the clutch cylinder, but on the Scarmbler you won't have that problem. My exhaust is inside the frame by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

headers

thanks for the info sounds good to me i just have to get a set of reducers from the header 3 in outlet down to 2/1/2 and give them a try but from what you say and what i see they should slip right in with out much problems on my scrambler i also have a hyd clutch but dont think it will be in the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (206.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (192.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (146.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (181.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (186.3 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 AM

I thought you were talking about factory exhaust manifold. But, I had those (the ones in your picture) on my Jeep before. I took them off. They would not stay tight. After every ride I had to tighten the collectors and the header bolts. PITA. I was so pissed off at them that I threw them in the trash.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Question sb headers

i had that problem also but then i got a set of wire lock header bolts and they did not come loose again ... they have a small wire that runs thru the head of the bolt and a clip that goes around and a flat side up next to the bolt... once the nolt is tighten and the clip is put in place the wire is twisted and bent over so no way can the bolt come loose.. they work good....and on the flange once i have them togther i plan on a couple of spot welds on them.....but you said you had them on.... then they did fit ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode