RHD front adjustable trackbar?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

RHD front adjustable trackbar??

Hey guys and girls. Ive got a procomp 4 inch lift on my TJ (spaced an extra 1 inch in the front for good measure)and have a little issue. (please refer to pics as my description is going to be messy) Instead of fitting an adjustable front trackbar, a drop knuckle has been used. To stop any play in the knuckle/mount bolt another bar runs back to the other side of the chassis (see below pic) The end adjustable eye has broken off the bar.

Now im asking myself, "why even have the knuckle there? Why not just get an adjustable track bar and mount it to the original point?"
Aside from the RHD versions being hard to come buy, can anyone see why i cant do this??? I've been looking for practical reasons why the knuclke was used in the first place and can only conclude that the kit was imported from the US and the knuckle variation was cheaper that getting the RHD trackbar. There seems to be no obvious technical reason.

Now if i cant locate an adjustable one, i have an engineer friend who will cut the original, tap a thread in either end, and add an adjustable sleeve in, which im picking should do the trick.

Can anyone please point out what i may be missing, or any issues with my reasoning?

Cheers

Mark
NewZealand

Last edited by NZTJ; 03-22-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Official Historian

I had to look at those pictures for a while to figure out what they did but I've got it now. They put a drop knuckle on there to drop the track bar the same distance that the drop pitman arm dropped the drag link. That keeps your track bar and drag link parallel so you don't have any bump steer. It also looks like it dropped it far enough that your axle is still in the stock location side to side.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes Will, that's quite correct. Sadly the setup is utterly rubbish, which is why Im after a RHD adjustable trackbar. I guess what I ought to have asked is: Is there any reason why this knuckle set up is superior to using an adjustable track bar? If there is, I cant see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

Aside from that link looking like the uber-light (THIN/WEAK) links dirt trackers use ... why not pull the broken heim stub out of the link and just replace it until you engineer a replacement?

Also, by "RHD trackbar", do you you plan to move the trackbar mount over to the other side opposite it's current/LHD location?

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Aside from that link looking like the uber-light (THIN/WEAK) links dirt trackers use ... why not pull the broken heim stub out of the link and just replace it until you engineer a replacement
Because theyre not that easy to come by, suspension shop just stared blankly when I took the broken part in. If im going to correct the problem of a weak link, i may as well do it properly rather than just use a stopgap measure, which is the status quo.

Also, by "RHD trackbar", do you you plan to move the trackbar mount over to the other side opposite it's current/LHD location?
Ummmm no, its a trackbar for a Right hand drive vehicle... hence it being "RHD trackbar" It always has been RHD and always will be, what I want is an adjustable version.
A "Left Hand Drive trackbar" would link opposite to the one currently fitted.... for a Left Hand Drive vehicle.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 01:20 PM

It can't be that difficult to make one, can it?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZTJ View Post
Because theyre not that easy to come by, suspension shop just stared blankly when I took the broken part in.
You might have better luck from an INDUSTRIAL supplier as heims are used regularly in machinery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZTJ View Post
Ummmm no, its a trackbar for a Right hand drive vehicle... hence it being "RHD trackbar" It always has been RHD and always will be, what I want is an adjustable version.
A "Left Hand Drive trackbar" would link opposite to the one currently fitted.... for a Left Hand Drive vehicle.
Shows what I know about coily sprung Jeeps!

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

its doing my head in.

Measured up the distance from inside tyre to chassis, and found it to be 20mm out to the left (as if your sitting in the vehicle), so the drop knuckle was actually pushing the diff out too far. (hence the previous bolt bending issues im picking) Took the knuckle off and just bolted the stock one straight back up and now its only 7mm out to the right. With a 5 inch (total) lift, this shouldnt be the case.

Straightened up the steering wheel by way of twirling the adjustable tie-rod about, but now the rear is stepping out to the left when changing gear. I'm taking a punt that now the front and rears diffs are out of synch in respective positioning and the rear one will need to bought into line.

Might just take it to a shop.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:09 AM
Addict

Thats why I don't drive OR purchase new vehicles anymore, tooooo over engineered and loaded with stuff you'll never need, I just finished building a "new" jeep, took the best and newest parts from two YJ's and various other vehicles, reworked and assembled them and now I have a brand new vehicle, took about 4 months, and I'm getting ready to do another this summer, I love them older vehicles, them parts guys are always telling me something won't work, but I just laugh at them and bring the vehicle back to show the results, I emptied a complete Chrysler/Jeep dealership one day cause of the "NON BELIEVERS" but its all in fun.

Booger

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"

Last edited by Booger; 03-28-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Because I's can
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Official Historian

If you take that knuckle out and put an adjustable track bar back at the original mount, be sure to replace the drop pitman arm with a stock arm too. Your drag link and track bar need to stay parallel.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode