OT: My dog has some Pain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Addict

OT: My dog has some Pain

My nine year old German Shepherd, who got hit by a car about 7.5 years ago and broke her pelvic bone, is starting to show signs of pain when she walks. I will spend large amounts of money to get this dog fixxed, and beyond the pain, but will probably only be putting off the inevitable. does any one have any remedies or good results with any thing advertized to deal with K-9 pain.
This is one of those dogs you can leave your kids with and she will play with other kids as well as long as the other kids are not chaseing or disturbing "hers" also woe unto the fool who walks into the yard with out me or mine knowing it.
Thanks in advance,
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2421.jpg (153.8 KB, 1 views)

73 CJ5 And 2 Ranchers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

Believe it or not I might know what ya need. Find you a Co-op and ask for some stuff called DMSO. They use it on races horse after they work them. I tried it for myself on my knee's and it seemed to help. The only draw back is, you will want to put on some rubber gloves because this stuff will soak through the skin and absorb into your blood stream. I know this might sound weird but you have to use gloves or after about a week you will start to develop some serious draggon breathe Im not kidding!!!!
They found out it helped humans when the people that rubbed down the horses after a race or workout started enjoying their job because their hands and backs were not hurting anymore... Look it up on the web, some of the stuff you might read sounds kinda scary but like you said, you are delaying the inevitable so it might work or it might not. I think I read that other countries are using it to slow the growth of cancer. The U.S. will not approve it for humans because it can carry other things into the body as it absorbs into the body. It is some freaky stuff, I think the freezing point for it is like seventy degrees. I don't know if it will help or not but it's worth trying. My mastiff just had her pin removed today after beign hit by a car eight weeks ago and I would use it on her if I had to.
Here is a pic of her the day we brought her home from the vet.
[/IMG]
Any of you ever tried to help a 140lb dog use the bathroom, That was an experience I hope I never have to do again...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Way Outta Control

WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT GIVE TYLENOL, IBUPROFEN or any of those types of things we use for pain. It'll kill them quickly! Their organs start shutting down even with just 1 pill!

Baby aspirin helps a little, but even it causes problems - no longer than a week or so.
Vets have pain killers that are safe!

It attacks their organs inside, giving a very painful death!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their systems are different from ours, some things we take is poison for them. Things like chocolate, raisins, grapes etc are deadly.

Check with your vet - or ask several of them about the DMSO - you don't want to unintentionally hurt your best friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Way Outta Control

What a beautiful dog!

It reminds me of our beloved "Greta" who passed away at the age of 16 almost 17 years ago. I was taken aback when I saw the picture.. as Greta was the spitting image of your dog. She was a White German Shepard-Wolf mix, and the best dog I've ever had. She was smart enough to know who to bite, and who not to bite. Neighborhood kids would come over to just to play with her. She had a sweet - even temperament and a great personality. I really miss that dog.

Dr. Frank's Joint & Pain Relief for dogs and cats seem to be getting good press... and may be worth a try.

Last edited by LEVE; 03-21-2008 at 06:14 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the tips. I gotta take my son Turkey huntin tomorrow morning then I think I'll go to the co-op and see if I can get any of that DMSO. I've heard of it and some one tried to get me to use it when I got my knees hurt in a judo match. I was afraid of it. Like you said RRich Whats good for us may not be good for them, sometimes that works the other way too. I Thought about giving her some buffered asprin, and may still it's save for dogs. She is just one of those dogs that when you see one of those movie dogs you wonder "whats the big deal?" My dog does that stuff naturally!. Just hate to see her gittin older, and feeling pain from an injury that healed sooooo good. She cleaned out the entire underneath of a car. broke her pelvic bone in three places and poked a hole clear thru her upper thigh on the right rear side.I put rollers on a vari kennel and took the top off and for 3 months my wife would roll her out to the living room of the evening to set with us, clean her and roll her outside and set her in the grass to let her "go on her own" put a new diaper on and place her back on the puppy pad in the rollaround and make her as comfortable as possible. She eventually got to the point where one day I was called by the sherriffs department that my alarm had gone off. The deputy got there before me and the wife did too, so she let him in the front door. When he got to the bedroom where she was,there was a"one more step and I'll eat you alive" growl coming from the far side of the bed. That and the pile of doggy doo under the alarm in the hall way was our sign that all the love and care was working.
I just really hate to see her this way and know it will probably get worse by this time next year.
JD

73 CJ5 And 2 Ranchers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Way Outta Control

Sounds like she's in the hands of very caring people! She's a very lucky girl!

There's nothing more important to me than my 4 girls, my wife, mother and daughter German Shepards, and a Chihoua? (She was my wife's, came with the territory, but is now family.)

BABY aspirin - a regular dose of aspirin is too much for them.
One baby aspirin i think every 4-6 hours max - even for big dogs - and no more than for a week.
It does damage too, just not near as fast.
As I remember, even on the internet it tells about aspirin and dogs. Do a search.

Dogs have a way of internally turning off pain and of healing themselves. Vets don't know everything - but they do know what can be harmful.

Make sure she has a good soft warm bed - preferably next to yours. I'm sure cold aggravates it. And good healthy food!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have no suggestions....but i can relate. My dogs are my babys and I would do my best to keep them pain free.

Good luck!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

RRich is right, don't give them any anything that we take for ourselves. The vet told me that during our first week home when we ran out of pain relievers. The vet brought some by for us, he thought he had given us more. Like I said, look into that stuff before you decide to use it.
It's hard to loose a friend, I lost my twelve year old Great Dane last summer. I think she actually laid on the porch waiting for me to get home, my wife said she had been there all day looking really bad and when I got home I sat down by her with her head in my lap and she stopped breathing. The last time I had her at the vet, they couldn't believe how healthy she was for her age and said most Great Danes dont make it past ten years... What really sucks is I have a seven year old Great Dane that I know I have to go through that again with...
Good luck..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've had excellent results with Glucosamine and MSM. Many dog foods come with this already mixed in. I kept one of our Labs out of pain for about 4 extra years using this. I'd recommend checking with your vet or local pet supplier for additional pills-

I take Glucosamine and MSM daily myself for joint issues/pain. I'm a believer.

Randy S.
It's not what you buy, It's what you build
82 Scrambler 5.3/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20 4.56/lockers
1999 XJ Cherokee
1973 VW Bus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode