Back in the shop - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Back in the shop

After the last two years of pretty much nonstop between the side job and regular job I decided to take a shop day to get everything caught up. Maintence on the truck, a major overhaul on a loader I broke a month ago and finally put the rear door on my tj, well almost.

The point of the story is I have forgotten how much I love working in the shop, welding and the like. I ran a torch for about 2 hours today bending and welding fixing the loader. and think I may have had the best day in months.

Of course tomorow I am back at it trying to make some dough,

I actually spent 15 min remembering my hydro conversion on the bender is about a half day from being done, the Cj 5 could operate under it's own power in a day or less. I am hoping with the new shop coming I will hae more time to work on the jeeps.

Of course I am ending the day with as manny margaritas as I can stomach..

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Cheers (rum and diet coke for me).

I can 'almost' relate. I can't wait to tear down my sorry excuse for a garage and build the new one.....right now my CJ is at work with a car cover over it and half the parts for the current project spread out over my office....but it does make for good conversation when someone comes in and sees the composite overlay for my dash....

Tell you what Jeff....I'll come out and help you wire up your garage and then you can come out for a weekend and help me on mine.....but my only fear is that our alcohol and chips & salsa bill would be more than the airfare.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
our alcohol and chips & salsa bill would be more than the airfare.
Almost guaranteed.

On that note, too many margaritas are making me sleepy and there is junk to haul in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Way Outta Control

It's the best type of mental therapy a man can have....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
It's the best type of mental therapy a man can have....
Thats a fact!

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you got that right Leve... i take leave every so often.. (like this past week) and I have spent all of it in the garage.. my hands are sore and busted up.. welding burns all over my chest.. feet hurt.. but it sure is relaxing..

kinda like going half a mile an hour in a vehicle.. that we all know and love.. and sometimes hate

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Veteran

Everyone,

I can definitely relate!

My wife understands, but several people I work with have no idea why I like to work on my own jeep, etc, etc.

AND they really can't understand why I am building the tube buggy.

1st off they all think that I make so much $$$ that I could pay someone to do it for me. I do pretty well, not like most think, but I prefer to put my extra $$ into retirement investments, etc. I plan to continue my lifestyle or beyond in retirement and my semi retirement will be at 50!! I can't just do nothing but it will be a a better pace and less travel/work hours than now.

But I really like to work with my hands, I love to metal work, but I really love to challenge myself to see what I can really do. Plus I like to learn new things and you can't do that if your paying someone else to do it for you.

Been waiting 4 weeks now for my LTB on back order but hope to have them and a rolling chassis to post up pictures of shortly.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Glad to hear I am not alone in this.

What is funny I hadn't welded in so long that I had kinda lost faith in my abilites. I was concidering having the loader fixed by a professional, After thiking about it the only guy I would trust to do it brings stuff to me on occasion to fix, Got me thinking and after the first repair, before I took it apart and "re-fixed" it the right way I Impressed myself, after I had to take it apart I didn't spend as much time on the second trip getting into the right position so it looked a bit booty fabbed.

I get the don't you make enough to let someone else do it? Well, I just don't have faith enough in others to turn my baby loose with them.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Recently, I paid someone to do a little bit or work on my jeep....specifically, the front bumper and transmission mount......partly because it was a slow month for the guy and he needed a few bucks and partly because I was too busy to do it.....but the reality is that it was no fun looking at the result knowing someone else did it....no fun.

Right now I'm building up that D44 flat top....and I'm enjoying it....not getting a whole lot done...but it's moving along.....and I'm the one doing the work.....

So, yea...I know what you mean.....I call it "stress reliefe".....not to be confused with my other "stress relief"....throwing dirt bags in jail.......

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode