How much difference does the front locker make? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

How much difference does the front locker make?

Im asking this because for a long time ive went without locking the front of my rig because of the weak front dana 30 axle. I went jeeping this weekend with two friends, each with tj's but with a little better lifts and locked all the way around, and everywhere we went they had little trouble making it through the obstacles where my jeep wouldnt even come close to making it over. Now I would blame it on driving skills because god knows that im not the best driver by far, but one of the guys this is only his second trip out having never owned a jeep in his life and the other guy was drunk. I hope my driving skills are better than that. The obstacles that I had problems with they werent just making it over a little easier than I, but they appeared to have no trouble at all. The drunk guy has a far better lift than I so it was understandable in his case, but the other TJ has a comparable lift, tires, etc. The only difference was his front locker.

------------------------------
97 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
BMB
Veteran

It will make a considerable difference.

Right now you have an open diff. which lets the power go to the wheel with the LEAST traction.

A locker will transfer power equally to both wheels, effectively "locking" them together.

The downside of the locker will be more difficulty turning and it can cause plowing in mudding or snowy conditions, but I prefer the traction over those.

All of that being said you are learning to drive the right way. You can see what your limitations are and learn to drive better to help overcome them.

BMB
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I know that when I added the rear locker it made a conciderable difference. In fact it made me able to go places in 2wd that I had a rough time taking in 4wd before adding it. I just wasnt sure that the difference in adding the front would be the same.

97 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought it made a bunch of diffrence in my jeep. I would do it again although without the rear locker it gets a bit squirlly in the rear when pulling a slick hill.

Jeff

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast

The other guy's lift isn't making a difference unless you are scraping parts and getting stuck high centered.

If you have one rear wheel up in the air, the other rear wheel on a slick wet rock, one front wheel in mud, and the other front wheel on a rock with good traction, then the front locker will make the difference between driving out of there or getting your shoes all muddy while you try to figure out how you'll get home.

Can you hear the silence?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just because I can afford to lose money don't mean I should do it." Charles Barkley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yea...it makes a difference. It really changes how you drive on the trails....you get to take things are lot slower because you don't have to 'hammer' it to get over.

Add a 4:1 xfer case and it gets real fun....

Well worth the money.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, as far as the 4:1 goes, I have an auto tranny so I have a bit of a cheater there. No problems as far as gearing. I wish I could travel down hill a little slower without breaking some times but going upward you cant beat it. IM going to be changing gears as soon as I get the money to upgrade the front. I was going to put a high pinion dana 30 in there but I figured if I do it im just going to do it right and throw a dana 60 in. By the time I get the gears, locker, and other mods done to the high pinion I will wish that I had just saved that money and put it in to the 60 anyway. For now though, im thinking about just putting a lockright in to the front and be nice to it until it just cant take anymore and breaks on me. That was the other thing that I noticed about the trails we were on. They were making it easily while i was having to beat my rig just to try to keep up. Then my winch went out on me.... ug...

97 TJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ya.. it makes half the difference.. lol.. as for braking.. get a line lock.. and lock out the front brakes.. and just use the rear brakes.. for going down.. i will be doing this soon.. aaron has this on his.. and works awesome..

Survival is instinct, Living takes guts!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are going with the 60, and going to spend the $$ get a ARB, OX, or a T-Locker, makes turning much, much better when you unlock, not to mention snow.

Oh, and don't go wheeling with drunks, they can get dangerous, real fast

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

Since nobody else mentioned it...

2 lockers will also get you into a whole new world of places/situations/predicaments, where open diffs would have stopped your forward progress miles ago... long before teetering on the brink of rolling, massive body damage, and rollcage testing!

You've been warned!

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode