CJ7 Project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

CJ7 Project

I have been gathering parts for the better part of 6 months for the latest incarnation of my CJ7. About 2 years ago, I started collecting parts for a Dana44 high steer. After collecting all of the parts required, I decided to swap axles instead.

My plans became 14 bolt rear, front 609 with Crossed UP offroad housing. Caddy calipers in rear and 3/4 ton calipers in front. Rear JCW CJ7 heavy duty 7leaf springs with 7 leaf waggys up front. I wanted to stretch the wheelbase 4 - 5 inches and be able to run 39 iroks. I also plan to install the NP435 that has been sitting in my garage for 5 years now.

My parts search started back in August. I ended up with (8) used YJ springs, used front Waggy springs, used Dana 60 outer knuckles, (2) single rear wheel 14 bolts, complete, and (1) set of 14 bolt dually hubs. I was not happy with the used springs, so I ended up deciding upon the new springs. I am sure that I am missing a bunch of parts in there.

I bought Ruff Stuff specialties 14 bolt swap kit, 14 bolt cover, and shackle hangers. I ended up with MORE offset steering box brace and 4" shackles. Most of the 60 parts came from Complete Offroad or the local parts store.

I did not think through my project too well since as of December I had never welded before in my life. I ended up picking up a Hobart 187 from TSC with a 40 cf bottle of C25. I started welding with flux core then moved to solid. After about 10 hours of welding under my belt, I decided that it was time to start the project...

-- Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1291.jpg (32.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1373.jpg (32.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1381.jpg (25.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1405.jpg (48.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1406.jpg (42.2 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I got the rear axle "temporarily" located with all brackets welded and the axle in primer last weekend. This weekend, I went to work on the front end. My goal was to have the Jeep sitting on the front axle by dinner time today.

I got the front axle out yesterday and put the new one under it today. I ran into a few problems... The front passenger side spring plate is drilled incorrectly. I'm not happy with my front shackle hanger. I still need to modify the front cross member to use the MORE offset steering box brace.

-- Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1485.jpg (43.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1487.jpg (71.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1488.jpg (60.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1491.jpg (132.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1495.jpg (52.4 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I still need to figure out my "gears". I'm thinking of reusing my old 35 spline 9" center section with 4.88s and a spool up front. Although, I would prefer a Detroit up front and I think that I want 5.xx gears instead.

I still need to figure out drive shafts, shocks, tires, and body modifications to make it all fit...

-- mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1496.jpg (45.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1497.jpg (15.1 KB, 304 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 05:41 AM

Man, you jump in with both feet! That's a swell project, but remember - it's almost May!

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

holy cow! that is one Beefy looking rear axle!!!

thats gonna be pretty bad arse!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Nice!

- What tires you planning to run?
- What inners are those? Custom or just "off the shelf" CroMo?
- What's your reasoning (if other than $$) for not running one of X'dUPs housings in the rear? (could keep 1 spare carrier that would work for either end)

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I got great news today... It turned out that I had my spring plate upside down and was trying to use a bolt that was too big... The 1/2" bolts fit perfectly once the plate was turned.

This thing better be done by May. I have not traveled since November, and only have 1 trip to Amsterdam planned between now and next year. I'll eventually be working in Beijing, but probably not starting until June.

I want to run a 40" tire, just because... I'm partial to the 39.5 Irok because of price. However, depending upon when I finally buy tires, I may look at the new LTBs.

The front inners are moser 4340 with 4340 outers, not sure of the brand. I'm running regular spicer Ujoints. I have to save money somewhere.

I "currently" have a Currie semi-float 9" in the rear of the CJ. I had planned to keep it, and put spacers on it to increase the track width to 64". After thinking about it, I figured that I could "build" a 14bolt for not too much money and then either re-use the current rear 3rd member in the front or sell it. Either way, it should be cheaper to build a 14 bolt than to buy a 35spline 3rd member. Since the current front is a 60" wide 9/(cj outers) 31 spline hybrid bolt into a CJ SUA, I figured that the pair would be easier to sell than just the front alone.

I am frustrated that I got talked out of the 64" width that I had originally planned to run when I installed my second set of axles...

--mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Old Hand

WOW!!! Looking good Sour!!!
So, whats the width on the new 609? 64"? What about the 14bolt??
At this point I'd spend the extra $$ and put a Detroit in the front rather than a spool. I think you'd be much happier with it.
Looks great man, can't wait to check it out at the Bash!!! With these axles I don't want to see you backing down from anything this year for fear of breaking!!
Aaron.

"4 squirrels runnin' on boggers...and they're angry!!!"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Yep, both axles are right at 64". I really want Detroits front and rear. I'll just have to see were things stand once I get the tires back underneath it. I can always through my current third member in and then wait to get the detroit.

I'm really looking forward to the bash.

-- mike
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I have been unable to spend much time working on the Jeep. I was looking forward to a 3 day work weekend, but Heather ended up having her Gallbladder removed on Thursday and needed help moving around...

I did get to spend some time on Sunday working on it. I got the new M.O.R.E steering box brace installed and picked up a new Borgenson steering shaft. I got the correct bolts and Ubolts for the front end and have it tightened up and the weight of the Jeep sitting on the front springs. The front shackle hanger is about 35 degrees.

I picked up some PVC to mock up the tierod and draglink before I start cutting the DOM. It just amazes me all the "little" things that you don't think of that cost both time and money...

-- mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1506.jpg (152.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1507.jpg (152.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1508.jpg (135.5 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode